ZG5 GF8200 UBER accelerator

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Omega_red, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Omega_red

Omega_red

My acer aspire one "i have two exactly the same with one exeception"
    Removed 8GB ssd, inserted a sata 80GB high rate ssd "patriot"
    Added 1GB Ram corsiar (677 or 667 i can't remember...)
    Overclocked to 2000Mhz
    Added expanded heatsink to heat assembly "using silver compound"
    Installed: XP PRO sp3 "flash fire installed, no page file"

My first one!
    Works like a charm
    Blazzing fast

My second one!
    Is a Prototype! ZG5 GF8200 UBER accelerator "built for the ZG5 chipset"

I recently wanted to have some fun. i hated how bad the 3d acceleration was..
    I decided to Build a mini pci-e accelerator card.
    I got my uncle to order some chips for me from his shop...
    A few Gpu's "6600gt 6600le, 7800gt,8200 ,8600gt" some ram from samsung ("2x 512 MB, 2x 256mb" DDR2 & GDDR3)

after looking thru spec sheets...
    I found out that the mini pci-e had very limited bandwidth but if used correctly with the onboard chipset making use of every hardware factor possible
    a 6600 gpu would still give me all the speed needed for 3d but have no cpu acceleration
    But the 8200 would be alot of GPU power and can run Cpu code!

I opted for the 8200 i got to work using 2x 256mb ram copied and expanded some stuff from a few other desings and came up with a model i liked...
    I came up with the final desing, and sent it to my uncle's lab. "every one knows me there"
    And built me the first prototype. 3 prototypes later i have a very stable running model.

Bench marks are done!.
    CPU tests. 40% speed up in most tests "so 2000Mhz -> 2800Mhz... almost..."
    Just as i thought! By making use of the combined power of the ATOM, iGMA & GF8200.
    By making use of xp cuda driver packs and the cpu is greatly sped up.

Testing continues
    Graphics.
    Locking the gpu into DX8.1 mode and connecting a 1680 x 1050 display "iGMA set a pre frame buffer"

Doom 3 "settings: medium, 800 x 600. runs at 25 to 38 fps "pre frame buffer off 5fps 'bad idea'"
    Fear setting 1024 x 768, high runs 26 to 31 fps

Physix tests...
    physix runs well but does not like sharing the pipeline
    "the mini pci-e port" with 3 device's "iGMA, ATOM and running physics aswell = bottle neck"

Alot of video & audio tests where done "video convetion is sped up quite alot!"

All and all not too shabby!

All i need now is a good form of heat management, and i need to fix one or two driver bugs.
    I am planing on selling these to hobbyists with a 2 year waranty and am having 50 manufactured as soon as i fix that final bug..

Do you think anyone here might be interested?
    With each GFX card you get a tools and driver disc...
    The disc contains "XP sp3, Windows 7 drivers & linux. Management tools "overclocking, temp guages, Acc control software. All open source"

The most important part of the disc are the drivers and the acc control software.
    the acc control software allows you to choose between manual controll alowing "you to choose between High Cpu Acceleration, High Gpu Acceleration or Medium cpu & Gpu Acceleration most stable" Or you can set it to auto.. it will detect cpu & gpu strain and manage acordingly "responds every 0.000002 seconds!"

Thanx to everyone a Ml Tech south africa

Omega_red, Dec 18, 2009
  2. Omega_red

toffe82

Hello,
    Do you have photos of your prototype ?
    How much will you sell it ?
    Is it better than the BCM70012 ?

toffe82, Dec 18, 2009
  3. Omega_red

Omega_red

1. going to buy a proper cam soon...
    2. Yes! the BCM70012 is just a video accelerator , where as the Z5G GF8200 is a full on 3d and cuda "system path" acceleration
    3. price in Rand: R600 "could change depending on final revision"

Omega_red, Dec 18, 2009
  4. Omega_red

darkmenx

im intrested, if the price will be decent i may order one, BUT i still think its a scam.

darkmenx, Dec 18, 2009
  5. Omega_red

Wanker

First Time Poster, long time lurker...

This thread makes me wonder... If you went through all of the trouble of using a decent GPU, why didn't you just get an Nvidia ION and build a new MoBo (the ION is the one in the HP Mini-311)?

If you get rid of the Intel NB/SB chipset, you can use an ION with less board space used, plus you get a real GPU, 12-USB hookups instead of 8, up to 6 SATA hookups, 4 "1x" PCIe (so you could do the two existing card readers, plus fully-wire up BOTH Mini-PCIe slots - and still add a 16x PCIe GPU as a slave for Hybrid-SLI (that would be awesome, an SLI-NETBOOK!!!).

I've always wanted to do this type of thing, because I always thought I knew better than laptop/netbook manufacturers what >>I<< want in a machine (think about putting capacitive multi-touch on an 8.9" display, built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 1Gb-Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n, 3G, GPS, 2x 1TB drives (or talk to the guys at Fusion-IO to see about OEM'ing a PCIe SSD...), HDMI out, S/PDIF out, ATSC/AM/FM tuning, etc...

Might as well shove in an Atom 330 (I can just hear the guys at Acer crying...). I can just see it, an SLI, dual-core netbook running Win7-64 with less than a five second boot time, that you can actually run Windows Media Center on without breaking a sweat - you wouldn't need a desktop any more...

-Will Aker

Wanker, Dec 19, 2009
  6. Omega_red

Omega_red

That would so rule!

Omega_red, Dec 19, 2009
  7. Omega_red

shurcool

Ok, suppose I had that exact machine with all the features you've specified.

How much would you pay for it?

I'm sure it'll be less than it'll cost to make it. Just one 1 TB 2.5" drive is worth more than $150.

This is the problem. The manufacturers make things that cost cheap enough so they can sell them and make money. People want things that are more expensive to make, but don't want to pay that much for them.

shurcool, Dec 19, 2009
  8. Omega_red

Wanker

You forget one thing... manufacturing cost is different than retail price. You buy an 8.9" lcd from ebay for $60 - that's not how much it cost, it's how much it's being sold for. Also there is the "economy of scale" where if you build a bunch of things it's cheaper easier to make them than it is if you make one or two (look at Ferrari vs Ford...). It doesn't mean that a given product is actually more difficult/expensive...

And look at the new case against Intel from the FTC, they have been killing the competition with their "bundles" - it's cheaper to buy an Atom CPU with the chipset than without it (they are eating the cost of the NB/SB to avoid having an ION which works better in the system). It's the same childish attitude of "if I can't have it no-one can have it!!!" (the "it" being profits...).

Manufacturing cost on a 1TB 2.5" is only a few dolars more than that of a 20GB drive (and you can get those for about $2 a GB). They are just taking profits (not illegal) and that makes the price you pay higher - typical manufacturing cost is about 30% of retail or so...

Material cost for the spec'd machine I gave is about $120-175, so based on that (allowing the manufacturer to make a little money, and the store to make a little money - I'd pay $475 for that machine... and it would work better than most fo the Pentium-M based laptops you can get this holiday season. By the way, I've found those 8.9" screens on eBay for as little as $12 a piece (I bought 8 :cool: ).

-Will

Wanker, Dec 20, 2009
  9. Omega_red

toffe82

What background do you have to design such a board and write drivers for the nvidia chip ?
    How can you get Nvidia chip so easily ?
    What is the company of your uncle ?(web site ?)
    Where do you live in South Africa ?

Sorry for asking this, but like what was said before , how can we be sure it is not a scam ?
    If it is not a scam 80$ for such a board is a good price.

toffe82, Dec 20, 2009
  10. Omega_red

Kimixii

Chances are, its a scam. I mean cmon, this has got to be close to impossible, for him to have family that has a lab in South Africa where they strap Nvidia GeForce chips into Aspire Ones through the bandwith limited mPciE port. Does this honestly seem like a good idea?

I gave up on the whole idea of the Aspire One being a gaming machine. This is meant to be a side computer to your main destop or big laptop. Laptops are cheap as heck, just get one with a mobile 8600 or 9500 built in and be done with it.

Kimixii, Dec 20, 2009
  11. Omega_red

NIVO

im just like everyone else here, im a skeptic. We surely welcome something like this, it would truly revolutionize netbooks again. But to the OP, of course you understand why we are skeptical. All we require is proof. Any of us would be happy for an option such as your claims. Please present us with valid proof, and you have customers. Simple as that.

NIVO, Dec 20, 2009
  12. Omega_red

Omega_red

I just kept quiet and watched....

Firstly i find it very low how ppl view south africa. "i'ts not just huts and bushes!" We made most of the USA's Millitry Electronics!
    For example: the apache heli's head tracking for the minigun south africa's people built that! it took the USA 3 yrs with no resualts and we made it in 3 months!

I have came up with a price for the entire kit it contains every thing needed to work.
    US- $116 -Includes shipping anywhere in the world
    "gona setup a website soon and i will open it the day i have some stock"

Thats drivers, tools, extra's and the accelerator.
    All you need is a philips screw driver ,a slodering iron & resin core solder wire.

Micro Lith technologies does not have a website my uncle works for the millitry alone.
    In other words i know alot about militry TECH!
    My father is dead & so i live with my uncle.
    We get the NV Chips from Leadtech they supply us.
    I studied Digital electronics for 8 YRS and Cpu programing for 6 YRS! and i have been using & fixxing pc's since i was 7, i am 26 yrs old now and my I.Q. is 197.

Omega_red, Dec 23, 2009
  13. Omega_red

Omega_red

1. that was very offencive!
    2. i'm not black!
    3. so where do you live? so that i can also be a complete moron and google it and make my steriotipical asumption from the first picture i see.

Omega_red, Dec 23, 2009
  14. Omega_red

elPaulio Moderator

Ok guys, cool your jets!!

We'll not have any offensive/racial slurring on the boards here thanks!!

I have to say I am certainly interested in your work, and it looks like a cracking bit of kit for the price.

Keep us updated as to how you get on mass producing them :D

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Dec 23, 2009
  15. Omega_red

Wanker

Wow, all I said was it made more sense to build a new MoBo, you went a little bit far there cheif...

I put together a "lab" from eBay parts for less than $1,500 US:

• 30x stereo-boom Microscope with 144-LED ring illuminator ($350, and $120)[/*:2vldilha]
    • 3M 911 Heated Ionized air blower (for keeping the work-space on the bench static free - $80)[/*:2vldilha]
    • 24"x48" anti static mat, with wrist strap ($4)[/*:2vldilha]
    • MetCal MX5000 Mil-Std-2000 compliant solder station ($400)[/*:2vldilha]
    • Bag of 100-various tips for above solder station ($100)[/*:2vldilha]
    • Aoyue 852+ hot-air rework station with assorted tips (including BGA tips - $80)[/*:2vldilha]
    • Aoyue 853 compact preheating station (for preheating PCB before BGA attatch/rework)[/*:2vldilha]

All told about $1350...

All you need to do after getting that is a room with a table, a generator, and to watch a few YouTube videos instructing you how to rework SMT/BGAs and you're off (even a primary school kid could figure this out if they tried). Even if the guy said he lived in a hut in the middle of a jungle in South America and was part of a tribe that heards goats and they sold two to get the equipment - there is no reason to believe that building a board is "impossible". Also, most nVidia chips have unified drivers anyway, you shouldn't need a custom one unless you are building a board that uses different settings than nVidia ships already...

Well, we can use a Broadcom card over a 1x Mini-PCIe link to decode 1080p VC-1 and H.264 - why couldn't you use a GPU to do the same thing? ATI and nVidia chips are pretty good at decoding compressed video and that is basically what games ask for - I'm not saying that you'll be playing Unreal or anything, but what do you really expect a CPU that does about 75% the work of a Celeron M 1.6GHz to run? Realistically?

-Will

Wanker, Dec 23, 2009
  16. Omega_red

toffe82

I don't know if you refer to my post , but it was in no case offensive.
    I've been several times in South Africa for my job and like it a lot.
    My company sell a lot of machine there.
    If you have been for another country, I will have asked the same question.
    I like this project and would really like to see the picture of the prototype and see some video showing it running.

toffe82, Dec 23, 2009
  17. Omega_red

elPaulio Moderator

Hi toffe82,

No, the OP was referring to a post which I have removed :)

I am with you, I would certainly be keep to see some pictures, even of the prototype just to satisfy myself fully that this is 100% legit!

elPaulio, Dec 23, 2009
  18. Omega_red

Paisley Pirate

I'm still skeptical, but optimistic...

Skeptical when someone who spells so sloppily then says he has an IQ of 197... and that, at age 26, he has to get his uncle to order parts...

Seriously, don't whip out the IQ card... I know what mine is, and I don't waive it around, but I could and not be ashamed... I have dyslexia, and at least am smart enough to turn on spell checking... even when I am typing it what may NOT be my native language (ok, especially then...)

It's those little inconsistencies that make my Bull S*** detector go off... but that's just the Midwestern Farm Boy in me...

Please... put some video of it working, and of the board itself... yelling or ranting about how no one believes you makes you less believable, not more... I think Shakespeare said it best, "Methinks he doth protest too much."

Anyone can be anything on the internet...

Cordially,
    Paisley

Paisley Pirate, Jan 2, 2010
  19. Omega_red

dubwagen

hate to add to this topic but..
    where did anyone mention anything about being 'black' and why is being 'black' such a horrible thing?
    you're the one being very offensive now.

dubwagen, Jan 17, 2010
  20. Omega_red

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Those comments were in reply to a post which has been deleted due to its offensive nature!

Cheers

elPaulio, Jan 18, 2010
Ask a Question