yum install fedora-release

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 16shells, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 16shells

16shells

Hello. Wasn't sure where to post this but thought since I am a beginner on Fedora (I'm normally an Ubuntu user), I thought I'd ask here.

I have seen several times in my searches of this forum the recommendation to use the command "yum install fedora-release" and/or "yum update fedora-release". I know enough to know that yum is similar to apt-get, but what exactly am I installing when I install or update the "fedora-release" package? Will this cause issues with live update?

This is my daughter's AA1 and I want her to be able to maintain it but would also like to be able to install some additional apps and functions that don't seem to be available without these commands (Amarok, fusion-icon, etc..)

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

16shells, Jan 1, 2009
  2. 16shells

jinx022

jinx022, Jan 1, 2009
  3. 16shells

16shells

I apologize if I'm being overly cautious but when you say update the repos, are you saying that this action just re-points to the official fedora 8 repos? Why do have to install something to do that? can I use these same repos to perform updates or does the AA1 have a customized kernel? and what is the differance between "install" and "update" in these commands?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't to mess things up for my daughter.

Thanks.

16shells, Jan 1, 2009
  4. 16shells

whyay

It is safe to run this command. This command will add to your repository the packages signed with a new key. If you don't run this command, you can have problems with dependancies, because your system will not accept packages with an unknown key. In your repositories you will see a repository named "new key".

whyay, Jan 1, 2009
  5. 16shells

16shells

Thanks! But which is it: install fedora-release or update fedora-release?

16shells, Jan 1, 2009
  6. 16shells

whyay

The command "yum install fedora-release" will tell you that it's installed, and if you want to update it, then answer yes (y).

whyay, Jan 1, 2009
  7. 16shells

16shells

Sorry, I still don't quite understand. Do I need to update, or does just performing the install update the repos? Is the update function just updating the repos or does it perform and update of installed packages?

Thanks for all your help.

16shells, Jan 1, 2009
  8. 16shells

whyay

It does not perform update of installed packages.

whyay, Jan 1, 2009
  9. 16shells

Rapax

16shells:

You can think of the repositories as a number of lists, each telling the package manager (yum) where to get the individual packages, which versions are available and what needs what as a requirement.

'yum install fedora-release' tells yum to install a new and additional list, called fedora-release. From now on, when it goes through it's lists, looking for the program you requested, it'll also check the new one against the others and try to decide which version is the best to install (if there are several).

'yum update fedora-release' on the other hand, tells yum to check if there's been any updates to the list 'fedora-release', and if so, to use the updated one from now on.

Neither of the two will touch the software that is already installed, unless you tell it to, e.g. with 'yum update', which is usually a bad idea in Linpus.

Rapax, Jan 1, 2009
  10. 16shells

zinovsky

zinovsky, Jan 2, 2009
  11. 16shells

16shells

Thanks everyone (including others on the forum) for all your help! My daughters system is now "perfect", at least according to her. Easy Compiz with fusion-icon, working Amarok with required codecs, gthumb set as the default photo manager, and all with working icons on the Acer desktop! Next step may be VLC, but she hasn't complained about the default video player (though i think its ugly as heck).

I have one final question and one tip (which I haven't seen covered here).

Question: In order to get the above applications working correctly I have performed the fedora-release install as well as added the rpmfusion repos. Is it safe to say that these should be disabled when performing the Live Update function?

Tip: If you have added an SD card to the memory expansion slot (the one on the left) you will need to add both /home/user/ AND /mnt/home/ to the list of places apps like Amarok look for media: i.e. My Disk:///Music is actually a combination of /home/user/Music and /mnt/home/Music.

Thanks again.

16shells, Jan 2, 2009
  12. 16shells

markh

There is actually a proper path for that combined folder that you can give to Amarok. Don't have the AAO to hand, but I believe it is /media/disk/Music or something similar.

markh, Jan 2, 2009
  13. 16shells

16shells

How right you are, it's all there in /media/disk/Music. Thanks!

16shells, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question