Your Favorite Anti Virus Software?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC

I am a long time user of Avast anti virus software, and it is free! I find it works just as good as other paid softwares. Macfee and AVG softwares seem to bog down the loading of pages on my laptop.

There are so many other free softwares to protect your computer, and my is Avast! What are your favorite softwares to protect yours?

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Sefie

Nod32, it's a wonderful antivirus, is not free, but i DON'T pay a dime for it :p I use the trial versions, different passwords and usernames all the time. I've been doing that for years and I am quite happy with the service. Once things better for me (financially) I might get Karspersky, I liked that antivirus a lot.

Sefie, Jul 17, 2015
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC

I haven't heard of Nod32, and I will look into this if my laptop cooperates and runs for me. I am getting annoyed with all the advertised ads popping up from Avast. I know it is free but really, should they abuse their users with ads and bug them all the time with those stupid pop ups?

Kaspersky, I have heard off but like you, financially just can't swing it now!

IcyBC, Jul 18, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Sefie

Yeah, check NOD32, I keep getting the password and usernames and keep renewing the trials ;) No adds! Those guys do really abuse people their users by plastering so many ads, I know they got to earn something form their work, but some of them do exaggerate.

Sefie, Jul 18, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC

They use to be great and just notify you about the new updates, but for the past two years it seems every hour I will get a pop up telling this or that. Annoying as heck since I can't block it!

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  6. IcyBC

jamesbonner

In the past few years, I was a hacker, and when I was trying to crypt my viruses the only Anti-virus I found difficulties with is Avira ! that was in the past, but those days I've heard that Avira isn't strong as it was before, while AVG is doing good that's why I'm using AVG now !

jamesbonner, Jul 23, 2015
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC

AVG seemed to just bogged down the loading page time for my laptop; I had it and uninstalled it! I use Avast for everyone in the house. But @Sefie has recommended a new one and I will check it out once I have my laptop in working order.

IcyBC, Jul 23, 2015
  8. IcyBC

Krissttina Isobe

I found a totally free anti virus and anti spyware from Microsoft called security essentials. You can install and uninstall easily and quickly that even I can do it and I'm user friendliest too.:) I searched and searched and there it was free to use always. :p

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 24, 2016
  9. IcyBC

Pablo Diaz

In my experience anti virus softwares aren't really necessary and I think they are themselves some kind of adware. They always pop up everywhere and annoy me even when I know my laptop is perfectly fine and that I don't need a "critical scan." That said, I recommend Windows Security Essentials, which has the basics and I find it to be the lest intrusive of the antiviruses on the market. Also, the best anti virus ever invented is called common sense, learn where you should and shouldn't click ;)

Pablo Diaz, Mar 3, 2016
  10. IcyBC

Kelsey

I have also used Avast for years and have never had problem with it. I had previously used Norton, but I have ALWAYS had problems with it no matter which version I got. I was highly disappointed fishing out money all the time for something that didn't work for me. I'm so glad I found Avast. It is free and it really works and I couldn't be happier. I used to always get a virus on my computer, particularly a Trojan virus, and I never understood why. I haven't had one virus since using Avast! I definitely recommend it.

Kelsey, Mar 9, 2016
  11. IcyBC

Corzhens

My laptop is taken care of by Symantec. Our home computer used to have a Symantec as well but it stopped updating in January 2015 so we installed an AVG this year. It looks okay since it had trapped 36 viruses. However, the performance is slow because our computer became slower especially when accessing the internet. When the AVG is turned off, the desktop is back to its normal speed.

My husband's office computer is protected by Avast. Due to the problems with AVG, he decided to try Avast and he said it's pretty good.

Corzhens, Mar 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

vinaya

I have been using Kaspersky since a year. My license will expire in two days. Even though I never have had any problems with this antivirus program I am also looking for a new antivirus. I have used Avira and panda Cloud, both were free versions, and they were also good.
    I don't have any reasons to switch, but I am looking something that costs less than Kaspersky.

vinaya, Mar 10, 2016
  13. IcyBC

djtech

I don't use an antivirus, at least not one that runs continuously. I have an intrusion detection system and I browse securely. Even so, once when my browser was taken over by an adware, I simply clicked reset and the problem vanished.

If you have a solid intrusion detection system and a nice personal policy about what kind of files you'll open or not, there is no need for a constant antivirus.

Every month I run Avira and Cleanup utility.

djtech, Mar 10, 2016
  14. IcyBC

acer93

I have always used Avast before, but nowadays I am not quite satisfied with it. I would like try eset Nod32 because I had several good feedback from friends and colleagues about it.

acer93, Mar 16, 2016
  15. IcyBC

djtech

Yeah Nod32 worked. But, now they've become expensive or at least now they're charging as much as the other companies.

But, if you want to know the best one out their, Nod32 is the best one. No questions asked. I know because I lived with roomates who thought spreading viruses and malware on campus was a joke. And Nod32 kept them out. You know how I figured that out? I saw them use it :D

djtech, Mar 16, 2016
    acer93 likes this.
  16. IcyBC

Personablue

I used Kasper-sky and it worked flawlessly. It didn't have any frequent updates like twice or thrice everyday like Norton which is a good thing and it didn't consume much resources like other anti viruses. It had a nice friendly user interface and it was worth my money.
    Now, I only use that only, didn't look back.

Personablue, Mar 16, 2016
  17. IcyBC

IBMPC8088

I use linux. :D Works like a charm ;) That and reverting back to vmware or virtualbox images. That erases all traces of any malware or viruses without any possibility of a remnant when it comes to removal.

If I ever had to use a windows system for a host or bare metal and needed an AV, I'd use Kaspersky for general, Malwarebytes Free for web-based/browser based protection, and the standalone free tool from Avast for rootkit scanners and removal.

Avira is good for heuristic scans (on par with Kaspersky that way), bu it has way too many false-positives just on trying to label great programming methods or exe-packing strategies as a "virus" when it isn't. Using Avira can help if you're looking for unknowns, but it can end up keeping people away from perfectly clean and good to use software out of oversensitivity and paranoia.

AVG is too heavy for use (works alright but wastes a lot of ram and resources it shouldn't), while Panda online antivirus is extremely light and fast, but only works for you when it's online, so its usefulness is limited to being equivalent of the paid version of Malwarebytes (but still not as good as that).

As for what I won't use:
    McAfee and Norton are dangerous bloatware jokes, and they don't belong on any sane or rational computer user's system whether they are free or paid versions. I actually feel bad for anyone using either of these two and try to help them if I like them to replace it with something else. Both of these are often exploited to become over-restrictive trojan droppers for what they were supposed to be there to protect against. It's absurd, and yet people still pay monthly for it.

Microsoft Security Essentials. It's practically a trojan virus from Microsoft that does basic antivirus features that any other program can do, but it spies on what you do and looks to see if you have keys installed for Microsoft products. If it sees something it doesn't like (even though you legally bought it and it installed funny). it will remove those keys you paid for and mess up that Microsoft software for you, and expect you to be ok with that. Why? Because Security Essentials is given for "free" to the sucker, ER...I mean the "proud Microsoft user who does evefrything Microsoft tells them to do with their own computer", and Microsoft expects you to be ok with the results of that whether its a free or a paid program that is doing espionage. Not my cup of tea. Like McAfee or Norton, I warn people of the dangers of this one whenever I see it on their system.

PC Pitstop's PC Matic: This is practically the "Zonealarm" firewall equivalent of an antivirus. Need I say more?

If you want to pay money, use Kaspersky. If you don't and want a freebie but decent one, use Avast + Malwarebytes and you'll be better off. Anything else is usually a waste of time or a headache unless it's one of the rare ones not listed which differs in any way from the ones that were.

IBMPC8088, Mar 16, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  18. IcyBC

hafiz93

I currently use Avast Free Antivirus for my laptop and it's decent enough for basic protections. But I have to say that all the pop-ups are getting annoying. It also keep asking me to upgrade to the 2016 version. I used MSE for my desktop before and that thing is pretty much useless. I have to format my desktop because of all the virus.

hafiz93, Mar 16, 2016
  19. IcyBC

CasualGoofy

I've tried Norton, Mcafee, Avira, and two more I don't even remember their names now. Norton and Avira gave a lot of pop up alerts. It was really distracting. I wasn't even doing any funny business yet the alerts came constantly.

AVG didn't bother me, but the full scanning process was very long. I installed AVG on a relative's laptop and he had trojan/virus a few times. So that got me wondering I probably should try something else like Avast Antivirus. Now I'm still using it and paired with COMODO firewall.

I can't say I have a favorite. More accurately, both Avast and AVG worked best for me out of the ones I've tried.

CasualGoofy, Mar 16, 2016
  20. IcyBC

roger1003

I use Norton Antivirus and it was fine. My computer is virus free and I feel safe even if I download and install anything on the internet. I've heard from most forums that Nod32 is a great antivirus software and it doesn't eat a lot of memory space.

roger1003, Mar 18, 2016
Ask a Question