You can try out Windows Hello biometric logins for the web, right now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Windows Hello’s face- or fingerprint-login feature promises to make passwords a thing of the past. But if you’re still confused about how biometric logins can make your life easier, Microsoft has published a quick demonstration to show you.

Windows Hello is one of the standout features of Windows 10, allowing your PC to “recognize” you and free you from typing in a password each time you unlock your PC. Microsoft originally predicted that web sites would build in that same biometric technology, but that promise hasn’t materialized, yet. It will, though, as part of the the Windows 10Anniversary Update, due to roll out this summer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3055...o-biometric-logins-for-the-web-right-now.html

Sefie, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Sefie

IBMPC8088

I wouldn't want any of my computer systems to do that without a physically typed password. Even if I had a voice recognition system for activation of a less critical machine, I still wouldn't want to use biometric scans of faces, finger prints, or facial recognition.

There are just some places Microsoft and the consumer markets shouldn't go. Not unless they are running a bank and trying to safeguard a vault in the fashion of a really cheesy 90's attempt at a technology movie, but even then, there are better and safer ways to go about it. Even though I like voice recognition at times, it can't be reliable due to misheard and output patterns (if you've used voice-to-text and autocorrect on even the best of phones, you know exactly what I'm talking about). When you're dealing with critical systems, you cannot afford to have the mistakes that the misheard output makes on it.

With fingerprint scanning, there are easier ways to get around that than there are finding out a person's password. With face or retina scans, the face scan wouldn't be as easy to copy but would deny you access if you didn't "match up" to it enough.

Lets say you were in a car crash and you had a bruise on your face, then needed to access your computer based on a face scan. Normally you'd look fine. But with that cut above your lip and bruise on your cheek? Guess what - access denied!

That's what happens when it can't "see" you the way it expects to. The same way if it can't "hear" you, or like a UPC scanner that won't scan an item at a supermarket, it can't "read" the eyescan correctly to let the user log on.

With a password, you never have to worry about any of this. You just type the password correctly, and you're on. And if you aren't sure of the password, there are easier ways to reset it if you are the legitimate owner of the machine than there are ways to reset a face scan, fingerprint scan if you have a cut on your finger, or voice match if your throat is hoarse, too stressed, or you lose your voice due to laryngitis. Until your voice comes back or the cuts or the bruises heal, you wouldn't be able to use your PC thanks to Microsoft...and I find that totally unacceptable to a serious user with or without their demo for it.

I said "Windows Goodbye" years ago for many valid reasons. I hope no one takes "Windows Hello" seriously.

IBMPC8088, Apr 14, 2016
Ask a Question