Yet another Wifi connection issue Atheros &Linksys[RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tinman, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman

Hello and thank you for looking at my thread, I hope you can help.

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire one AOA 150 netbook. I have been very happy with the purchase except for the fact that the darn thing won’t connect to our home wireless network. Now before you jump to conclusion yes I have tried to trouble shoot this issue, in fact many of the things I tired I found right here at this forum but none as of yet have been successful.

The One finds our home Linksys AP but fails to connect to it. I have set the security to WEP, WAP and no security with the same results. I have updated the AP with the latest FW as well as tried a few different drivers for the Atheros. I have reset the linksys router as well as the AP with same results. I have switched the AP channels and no help. I have reset the TCP/IP stack and the winsocks ...you guessed it no luck. I also disabled power saving mode through windows .... no joy here either.

I know the AP is working because we can use a Nintendo DS with it just fine. We also know that the Atheros is working because I drove over to a local Starbucks with the One and was able to use their wireless network. I also know that the router its self is set up correctly as we have 3 other PC's connected trough LAN that all have no issues. When I connect the One to a LAN it’s also able to go online with no issues.

I have spent 3 and a half days trying to resolve this issue to no avail. As previously stated the Atheros finds our Wifi, it tries to connect and after about a minute or two it gives up and windows tells me it can’t connect.

Any thoughts on what else I might be able to try? A netbook without wifi is kind of pointless in my opinion. I have thought about purchasing a USB wifi adapter but this seems to me like a poor solution, I would like it internal as it is now.

Thanks

tinman, Jun 9, 2009
  2. tinman

Tamrac

Re: Yet another Wifi connection issue Atheros and Linksys AP

Try connecting to a public Wifi hotspot.... if you cannot connect to anything else, then you may have a defective wifi card.

Tamrac, Jun 9, 2009
  3. tinman

tinman

Re: Yet another Wifi connection issue Atheros and Linksys AP

Not to be rude but as I stated in my first post I did try this by going to Starbucks with the One an it connected with no issue. Is that what you meant?

Thanks

tinman, Jun 10, 2009
  4. tinman

tinman

UPDATE

I have resolved this issue. This was a funny bug, I had mac filtering disabled through this whole process as I figured why add another security feature to negotiate when I cant even connect in the first place. But for the heck of it I decided to enable mac filtering on the Linksys AP yesterday. I then entered the Ones mac address and saved the settings and without me doing anything more I connected 10 seconds latter. To confirm my findings I once again disabled mac filtering (both allowed and not allowed addresses) and I was once again not able to connect.

Maybe this will be useful to someone else some day, if not oh well. ;) Thanks to all that read this thread anyway.

tinman, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question