yet another request for small and thin laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by jmg, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jmg

jmg

I'm about ready to replace my trusty t420s.
    When I bought this a years ago, it was everything I needed ... quad core [email protected], nvidia 4200m,512 g ssd, 16 gigs ram.

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm flexible on price , within reason (I'm not spending $5k, but the the $3k range is doable). Primarily this is a business machine, I do some low level graphics work for presentations, and use fairly large ppts.

I also like to play some games on the road --elite dangerous, for exmaple, sim city (I know, I know), and star citizen if it ever comes out.

So, here's my criteria:
    * max $4k
    * 14" screen
    * 4-4.5 pounds MAX (current laptop is 4.2 lbs, would prefer to stay closer to 4.0 pounds)
    * skylake processor
    * nvidia 960 minimum (mild preference for 970)
    * LED logos on the lid, day glow colors are a no-go-- this is a laptop I will bring to court and to clients
    * MUST be able output to 3 screens -- I constantly use 3 screens on at the office. I know the 970 is capable of displaying across 3 monitors. I don't care if I need a docking power (that's what I'm using now for my lenovo)
    * I'm easy on hard drives-- I have a 512g, and that's more than enough
    *I hate trackpads ... I guess the lenovo eraser tops aren't used any more except in lenovo t-series (which I've looked at and man, have they let that series decline)

anyway, I've looked at the following, and here are my thoughts:
    Aorus X3 Plus v5: This seems to hit everything I'm looking for, including the design (weird logo on the lid, but nothing embarrassing). Since it only has 2 video outputs, I'm assuming it can't output to three monitors. Haven't seen anything on their website re: a docking station. Any input on this?

MSI GS60 Ghost Pro: This has everything I need across the board, except the design... maybe pictures doesn't do it justice, but the thing is just not something I would bring into a conference room... is this thing as gaudy in RL as it looks in the reviews?

P34W v4 : just like the aorus , hits just about everything, except no skylake, and not sure if it supports 3x monitors. any insights? (I've seen "reviews" of a v5 that has a skylake, but nothing on their site yet).

razr:: Design is growing on me. Limited ports for my use, but I could get over that, IF there was a way to drive 3 external monitors... which I've looked around, and doesn't look like there's any real docking options for this. Anyone know of a docking station that can be used with the razer and allow 3 monitors?

I'm so far leaning towards the aorus, assuming it can support three monitors. any thoughts? Any other laptops I should consider?

thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    jmg, Nov 10, 2015
  2. jmg

jmg

any thoughts on this?

jmg, Nov 10, 2015
  3. jmg

jmg

bumping... nothing?

jmg, Nov 15, 2015
  4. jmg

IcyBC

If you have that much money to spend on a laptop, then go for MacBook Air! It is thin, sleek, and light. Plus, it is reliable and fewer problems than Window. All my life, I use Window until three months ago when my two years old HP laptop just got fried! I like my MacBook very much and don't think I ever go back to Window.

IcyBC, Nov 16, 2015
  5. jmg

jmg

What an unhelpful response. I say I'm committed to getting a small and powerful laptop, and you recommend an air? ONly a mac person would consider an air to be powerful.... really....

I'm not going to crap on apple, but the air isn't in the same category as any of the laptops I listed.

and I'll just end any possibility of turning into this into a windows vs. apple debate by saying I really just don't like apple laptops, and I'm not getting one. They're not for me. especially the air-- my minimum requirement is a NVidia 970. That alone excludes the air.

Anyway, anyone have any HELPFUL responses? I'm leaning heavily towards the razr.. but the only think holding me back is the lack of skylake, and from what I can tell, the inability to run three external monitors (which I need for work). The only laptop I've seen that really hits everything I need is the MSI -- it's almost as slim, almost as light as the razr, actually has the ability to drive three monitors, and has integrated Ethernet port and SD (nice touches, but not something I absolutely need, I could always use a dongle). I just am not enamored with the styling of the msi ... doesn't really strike me as something I'm going to take into court :)

Anyway, ANYONE have any helpful insights (i.e., personal use) of the above laptops? Any thoughts/recommendations that don't involve getting a mac?

jmg, Nov 16, 2015
  6. jmg

Fear

7. jmg

Fear

Fear, Nov 19, 2015
Ask a Question