Yet Another ' Is My Acer One Borked?' Thread

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by caligari, Dec 29, 2008.

1. caligari

caligari

Hi guys - I've been the 'proud' owner of an Acer One since Christmas Day.

Everything was great until the system froze up on me when I was attempting to edit my Facebook account a few hours ago (gah - and I don't even LIKE Facebook!). I couldn't close Mozilla, so I decided to restart the whole thing.

The system rebooted and got as far as a black screen - then it just seemed to stick. This time I had to hold the power button down to turn the thing off - when I turned it back on it got as far as the blue 'Acer One' start-up screen. Once again is stayed on this screen for ages - and KEPT sticking here after each 'reboot' (three or four attempts in total).

Eventually I phoned Play.com to report the system as being faulty - the poor guy then had to arrange a return to their warehouse which took about 25 minutes to complete.

I then hang up the phone to find that the thing is now working! posting.php?mode=post&f=17&sid=d0133d822c647b95c39b354a18ba5898#

I've tried restarting etc, and it all seems fine now and boots up fairly quickly - but I'm still rather paranoid that it could all happen again.

Should I cancel the return - or should I send it back and get it replaced with a new model - or should I just send the thing back and get a full refund and buy it from a different seller? :s

The only problem now is that Play.com will now test the returned item only to find that is DOES boot up. Arrgh!

caligari, Dec 29, 2008
  2. caligari

rowantree

Hi,

I've had mine for 4 months now and it behaved like this once and all it turned out to be was the battery had run out of juice. I find the battery meter tends to be a little over optimistic once it's down to 30-40% on mine, perhaps yours is the same...

rowantree, Dec 30, 2008
  3. caligari

caligari

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I ended up cancelling the return as everything seems fine now. I ordered it on the 4th of December, so I have a few more days of 'cover' in which I can still return the Netbook if that 'fault' suddenly reoccurs.

I'm now attempting to install all of the Live updates - I had a bit of trouble with this when I first started using the Acer (I'd receive an error message when everything had almost finished installing).

I do still get a few strange glitches - sometimes things will open as though I have 'left-clicked' on them (even though I haven't) - I'll also get a small chunk of text pasted into a 'reply box' when typing a new message - usually something that I'd typed earlier, such as a URL (an address that I had previously entered into the address bar) or text from a previous typed message. It's strange and can be a little annoying. Is this something that will vanish once the updates have been installed?

caligari, Dec 30, 2008
  4. caligari

rowantree

Hi,

I only actually got round to updating mine earlier this week so couldn't say on that one. It all seemed to go fine. Took ages mind you.

If you haven't already done so plug in a proper mouse and it's a whole different machine (and might cut down on cut and paste errors too).

I mostly use mine like a baby laptop - plugging into the mains (the wifi being on eats the power more than anything when in battery land) and with a proper mouse.

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Dec 30, 2008
  5. caligari

caligari

Great - thanks again for all the help, Rowantree. :D

I'd completely forgotten about a great little mouse that I used to use with my old HP laptop - hopefully that'll help me to cut down on my 'glitches'.

I'm glad to hear that the updates took a long time - as mine has already been going for close to half an hour (it's not even halfway through the Photo and Media Master section).

Finger croosed that it'll actually finish properly this time.

Apart from all of that, I still love this Netbook - it makes me glad that my old HP Pavilion decided to 'pass away' in November. ;)

caligari, Dec 30, 2008
  6. caligari

karona

When you force a shutdown by holding down the power button the AA1 reboots, then loads a 'last known good' boot configuration, giving the 'double boot' symptoms you saw. This can take some time (a minute or so) and if you interrupt this it will keep doing it until it gets to a successful reboot. This is normal for Linux.

The phantom text appearing when you paste is a 'feature' of the touchpad. When you learn how to use it properly it's actually quite useful, but if, like me, you unintentionally brush the touchpad with your palm while typing, its a real PITA

Keith

karona, Dec 30, 2008
  7. caligari

caligari

AH, excellent - thanks for the info, Keith! That has helped to completely restore my confidence in this great little machine. \o/

caligari, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question