xubuntu share visible in terminal, not in explorer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sub2hours, Nov 8, 2008.

1. sub2hours

sub2hours

Hi Guys,

I've tried searching for help on this but couldn't find the solution.

I have a media share (external USB drive) on an xubuntu laptop that I use for XBMC.

I'm trying to connect my aspire one to this share in order to stream media.

I go into terminal and enter:

mount -t cifs -o username=server_user,password=server_password
    //192.168.0.2/media ~/mymedia

This seems to work and if I navigate in terminal to ~/media I can run ls and see my sub-folders and files. However when I browse in explorer to the folder it appears empty.

Any help on this much appreciated as I'm fairly new to linux.

Cheers,

Ian

sub2hours, Nov 8, 2008
  2. sub2hours

JuliaP

Hi!

I'm having the same problem with directories I mounted per NFS. In Terminal I can cd into them and list their contents, but in Thunar they're empty. Anybody have an idea?

Thanks, julia

JuliaP, Nov 9, 2008
  3. sub2hours

sub2hours

I think I may have solved this myself.

If I open terminal, double click on 'My Disk' I can see my mount folder which I created using mkdir ~/myshare. If I look in this folder there is nothing there.

However, if I type ~/myshare and press enter in the navigation bar at the top of explorer I can then see my files.

I'm assuming there is some difference in these folders, even though they appear to be the same one.

I'm happy as I can now see my media share and watch movies using VLC.

Anyone shed any light on why I there is the difference in the way these folders behave?

Julia, hopefully this will help solve it for you..

Cheers,

Ian

sub2hours, Nov 9, 2008
  4. sub2hours

rbil

The "problem" is Thunar (the file manager) that uses a virtual drive to display "My Disk:///". It does this to accommodate the aufs filesystem that merges the SSD drive with a SD card placed in the left SD slot of the computer. The mount command you created was actually created in: /home/user/mynet (or whatever you called it) and from Thunar's perspective it can't see the cifs mount point. It's all way too confusing and silly really. I guess this was an effort on Acer's part to try and make the system more "user friendly", but as you can see it just confuses things. Then again, Acer probably didn't expect you to try and network this "communication appliance" with your local network. :)

If you want to learn more about aufs and how Acer is implementing it, you can read macles* excellent blog here:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/abou ... spire.html

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question