XP WIF - limited or no... solution patch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cgelder, Jul 20, 2009.

1. cgelder

cgelder

Hi all

After 5 different netbooks (3 aspire, 1 toshiba, 1 samsung) had problems with WIFI connections and XP, the now famous "limited or no connection" message. I realised that it may not be entirely the Atheros chip to blame.

Searching the web it appears there is a patch available from Microsoft, I dowloaded and installed it and hey presto it worked, it logged on within 20seconds.

5 machines over 10 months, endless phone calls, endless trips back to shops,endless hours searching forums could have been saved by a simple posting on the manufacturers web sites.

The link is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

My configuration is XP pro with SP2 on a 1gb acer aspireone aoa150 using a linksys router. I had tried all the other fixes found and nothing worked

Good luck

Chris

cgelder, Jul 20, 2009
  2. cgelder

cgelder

Sorry gang, i forgot to add the overview from Microsoft

Overview
    This update to Windows XP provides support for Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2), which is the latest standards-based wireless security solution derived from the IEEE 802.11i standard. It also contains Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS) Information Element support, which enables improvements in wireless network discoverability.

For the technically minded it will mean something, for me it simply meant satisfaction, contentment and happyness. Sad really that one piece of software can do all that.

Chris

cgelder, Jul 20, 2009
  3. cgelder

badger1000

I have the same configuration and problem. Cheers, I'll give it a go.

badger1000, Aug 1, 2009
  4. cgelder

wozofoz

I have some wifi problems from time to time so I decided to try this update.

I follow the link supplied in post# 1 and then, wanting to read what it is all about, I click on the link:
    Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB893357

In this article it says:
    I click on 917021 which takes me ta a page titled:
    Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2

On that page it says:
    I tried to install and it said:

Oh well :cry:

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Aug 1, 2009
  5. cgelder

ryanrich

I'm also having endless problems with this. I have SP3 loaded but still have WPA2 issues... I can't connect at all to my office network or my home network!

ryanrich, Aug 13, 2009
  6. cgelder

bas

What driver do you use for the Atheros card? My wife found a driver for me today that is from June 2009 and all of a sudden my Atheros card works!!! It connects to my wireless network instantly, even on startup of the laptop which has never happened before.

The driver version is 7.7.0.329

bas, Aug 17, 2009
  7. cgelder

boatman1

Had this problem a long time ago. Bought an Acer One several months after they came out, running XP, 120 gig drive, 1 gig memory. I updated the BIOS and installed the Atheros driver located on the Microsoft Windows update site. Never had the problem again. Several newer generations of BIOS since then. Left everything alone, and everything is still OK months later. Running BIOS ver 3305. Power saving is turned off, and QoS is unchecked.

boatman1, Aug 19, 2009
  8. cgelder

boatman1

Exact same solution, Bios version 3305, QoS unchecked, power saving off. Running XP Service pack 3, 1 gig memory 120 gig hard drive. This FIXED the wifi connection issue.

boatman1, Sep 27, 2009
Ask a Question