XP Pro SP3 running fine on 512/8GB SSD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BrandonMB, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

Just reporting in on the results of an install attempt of XP Pro SP3 on the 110.

Rather than going through the steps in the forum, I acquired and installed a copy of TinyXP which I installed without the driver packs and included WM, IE, and OE. Then I promptly uninstalled Outlook Express. TinyXP has all of the tweaks in Happy XP Experience, along with several more (something like 100 registry tweaks). However I did go through the steps mentioned for the driver installs, etc.

Installed Office 2003 and connected it to my office Exchange Server (6000+ emails in inbox... gotta clean that up!)
    Installed Firefox 3, VLC Player, Adaware, StarDock, Adobe PDF, and latest Java and Flash updates.

Purchased a 16GB SDHC card which is installed in the Expansion slot, and installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein on SD card (runs amazing!)

I then mapped my My Documents and My Pictures folders to equivelant folders on the SD card.

Happy to report that the system is running amazing. I have some slowdowns when I try to open large attachments with Outlook still open, but such is life. I'm using this thing for basic usage, not a powerhouse.

I still have 4.7GB available on the SSD, with Outlook running, I am using 251MB RAM, with 237 available.

Major slowdowns are noticed when it is writing to the SSD card, but nothing unuseable.[attachment=0:tvxb3z7m]A1Desktop.jpg[/attachment:tvxb3z7m]

BrandonMB, Aug 21, 2008
  2. BrandonMB

tomo88

That's great, I've used TinyXP before and thought it would be great to run on something as low powered as the aspire. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on an external DVD drive, did you install via USB? It's a bit more complicated cuz I'm not sure which files to copy over from the iso and how to make it bootable, just wondering what you did. thanks!

tomo88, Aug 22, 2008
  3. BrandonMB

BrandonMB

I actually used an external DVD which made life a fair bit easier. You can pick them up for about $60.00, and I would strongly suggest getting one, not just for the windows install, but also for installing other software down the road, I've found it makes life soo much easier.

That being said, the TinyXP ISO is bootable, not sure how to work it with the USB Key install though.

BrandonMB, Aug 22, 2008
  4. BrandonMB

tomo88

Kool thanks, I'll go invest in an external optical drive then :D

tomo88, Aug 23, 2008
  5. BrandonMB

jacku

Brandon...

Which version of TinyXP did you installed??

Thanks

jacku, Aug 23, 2008
  6. BrandonMB

Guest Guest

Glad you had a positive experience. Did you use tiny xp rev 9?? That's what I tried with when I had an AA1 with 8 gb SSD before switching to an AA1 with HD.

Guest, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question