XP and 3g dongles (?on 3 network).

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steve, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve

Hi,

I have tried to get the answers to my questions from the existing threads but havent really been successful, sorry!

I have just bought (today) an AAO 1gb, 120gHD running Windows XP and want to use mobile broadband with it. I know that I may need to play around with connection settings but I am just looking for simple answers about compatibility before I have to commit to any purchases. Any help will be much appreciated...

1. I will be using three network as the mobile broadband supplier (as that is who I get my phone supply from), do their dongles work (ideally with plug and play) with the AAO running XP?

2. Which of their dongles in your experience(s) works the best? (I have read that installing the Qualcomm driver will allow the Huawei E220 modem to work but is this the case for the E160G/E169G/E169 dongles to as one of these would be my choice?). (Where can I get this driver from please?)

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, Oct 23, 2008
  2. Steve

melhiore

It is a bit difficult to find anything about E220 under Windows as this modem works straight after connecting to USB. Necessary software is in modem memory chip... Just plug and have fun...

melhiore, Oct 23, 2008
  3. Steve

Blingin2Mingin

Windows
    All software and drivers for XP and Vista are on the 3 network E160G dongles too. Just plug it in it will automatically be detected as a usb drive and then launch its own Installer.

Mac OSX.
    On mac the software installs from the dongle too.

Linux.
    On an up to date linpus lite linux AA1 you need to eject the usb drive part from within the file manager and then launch the new Mobile Partner software. From within the Mobile Partner client you would then need to create a new profile with the following settings.

APN - Static ---- three.co.uk (or you can try 3internet)
    Access Number - *99#
    User name - three
    Password - three
    Authentication Protocol Settings - PAP

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Steve

Novice

Can someone explain how to do this install of the 3G dongle... Im rather :?

Step by step would be helpfull; I have the Huawei E169G UBS Modem on Three.

Im totally clueless as how to get in installed

Novice, Oct 26, 2008
  5. Steve

Blingin2Mingin

Ok Novice I am assuming that you have the linux version (Linpus Lite).
    Connect to the internet via the network manager either wirelessly or via the ethernet port.

Step one
    Install all the updates from the Acer automatic updater.
    Make sure the Huawei update is checked it was the last one in the list the last time I looked. The updater will take a long time (30 minutes for me).
    When It's finished a new application (Mobile Partner) can be found under the Connect section of the desktop.

Step 2
    plug in your USB 3g modem and wait a short while.
    The file manager will open and in the side pane you will see a CD drive. (This is the partition on your dongle containing the windows software).
    Double click the small green circular icon with an arrow on it, which is sited next to the image of a CD.
    (This will eject/un-mount the un-needed partition, this step is needed as this partition when mounted confuses the Mobile Partner software )
    Now you can start the Mobile Partner client from the icon in the connect section of the desktop menu. It should now detect your stick and sim.

Step 3.
    From within the Mobile Partner client.
    You need to create a new profile.
    click on 'Tools' then 'options' then you can add a new connection profile
    Use the details I posted earlier in this thread and save the settings.
    Now you can click Connect and it should connect ok.

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 26, 2008
  6. Steve

melhiore

Look what I found at YouTube: This video showing how to connect E220 to WinXP powered machine - it is really simple...

melhiore, Oct 26, 2008
  7. Steve

Novice

Thanks.... will this affect the dongle in anyway, as I use it on a Vista Machine too....

Novice, Oct 26, 2008
  8. Steve

Blingin2Mingin

No nothing is changed on the dongle. You can swop it between machines at will.

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 27, 2008
  9. Steve

speedacer

The Sierra Wireless Compass 597 by Sprint works great. I've been using it for a week now and have had no problems.Since there is no CD software to install, installation is very easy. Just plug it in and follow the prompts.You'll be online in minutes.

speedacer, Nov 6, 2008
  10. Steve

speedacer

Two things to add to my last post:
    1. I think the Compass 597 only works with xp. I'm not sure about Linux.
    2. You can swap the 597 between your laptop and your PC. You just need to start the installation process again after connecting to another computer.

speedacer, Nov 6, 2008
  11. Steve

seanhogan

HI I am getting the Acer aspire one with 3g inbuilt,I dont want to use the 3 usb stick only the 3 sim card can I do this

thanks sean.

seanhogan, Jan 20, 2009
  12. Steve

bobwats

I have a acer aspire 100 under linpus; i have followed all the above instructions as to how to get the 3g network to connect. I can now connect successfully using the Mobile Partner with both upstream and downstream data showing on the statistics screen
    The problem is now that if i disconnect my wireless connection the browser will not connect to the internet
    If i go into the settings screen and view the network tab on the system icon; i get three entries
    1) LAN
    2) Wireless
    3) 3G/Wimax

But in the network connection manager i am only getting the Lan and the wireless options

Do I need to create a network connection in order to be able to browse the internet ? or is there someway of making firefox detect and use the 3G modem another way

All the posts above seem to indicate the job is done when a connection is made using the new Mobile Partner utility but it looks as though there are some subsequent steps needed

Bob

bobwats, Jan 25, 2009
  13. Steve

bobwats

Success!!!!! I have now achieved the internet connection using the Dongle
    Although no direct reply from this problem a trawl through all the other posts about the dongle unearthed a post from Mimosa41 which said it was essential to disconnect the wireless lan BEFORE attempting to connect via the USB modem
    After doing this the browser works immediately.
    I'm confused though why i don't need to use the network manager - but the fact is that it works.

Bob Watson

bobwats, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question