Xeon or i7 for gaming?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by BuffaloBillsWildWestShow, May 23, 2018.

1. BuffaloBillsWildWestShow

BuffaloBillsWildWestShow

Hello,

I will be picking up a Thinkpad P71 in the next coming days. It will strictly be used for my business which is an eBay and Amazon store and also for gaming. I have two laptops to choose from. Both are refurbed models from Lenovo's Outlet website. The first one has the following specs:

Xeon E3-1535 v6
    Nvidia Quadro P5000M
    8GB DDR4 2400Mhz SODIMM (will upgrade in the near future to either 16 or 32gb)
    500GB 7200RPM SATA 2.5" HD (will upgrade in the near future to 1TB SSD M.2)

The second option has the same specs as the first (including immediate upgrades), but with an i7-7700HQ cpu.

Need to know if I will see much of a performance loss in gaming or day-to-day browser/word processing tasks if I were to go with the i7 vs the Xeon?

Thanks for the input.

Bill

BuffaloBillsWildWestShow, May 23, 2018
  2. BuffaloBillsWildWestShow

Ian Administrator

Welcome!

Both of those CPUs are pretty close in terms of performance, so if there's a big difference in price I'd go for the cheaper one! Both are very nice CPUs.

One benefit of the Xeon is that it looks to be more power efficient (35W vs 45W max TDP), so perhaps useful if battery life is a consideration.

I'm glad you're upgrading to an M.2 SSD, as a mechanical drive with a laptop of that power would be wasted. :)

Ian, May 25, 2018
Ask a Question