wpa connection problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by krychamin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. krychamin

krychamin

Hi, just bought a new acer one, installed windows on it and all the drivers from the acer site. Wifi is very temperamental and hardly ever connects if we use WPA encryption. Have been looking all over the forums and seeing no solution, anyone have any ideas? very close to taking this back as I don't have the time to mess about with basic stuff that other laptops seem to manage without a fuss :roll:

krychamin, Sep 22, 2008
  2. krychamin

krychamin

acer are complete a**holes

Just rang up explaining the problem, they said that i had to ring the networking team and gave me the "out of warranty" premium rate number. Rang that and explained the problem, he suggested the 'power save mode' solution which I have already tried, then said that liveupdate within Linux may have sorted it, but as I have installed windows there is nothing he can do about it. I enquired as to what live update could have done, as I am sure it can only update Linux (which wont help a windows user), and update drivers (which he could give me manually surely?!?!?) and he said there is nothing he can do and that he had no solution, and the shop probably wont take it back now.

This is disgraceful :x

krychamin, Sep 23, 2008
  3. krychamin

kevin

Maybe they are, but I don't think your tale, sad though it is, proves that they are. At least they answered the phone, which is more than many vendors can manage :)

So you bought a computer and installed a different OS on it, and now you expect the hardware vendor to fix your problems?

If you had _bought_ the Windows version and it didn't work with the software supplied, then you'd have a good reason to complain. But you're running completely different software on it. Why should it be Acer's job to sort that out? It seems to me that Acer are suggesting you put back on the unit the OS you bought it with. That may not suit you, but it seems a perfectly reasonable response from a vendor, to be honest.

kevin, Sep 23, 2008
  4. krychamin

krychamin

the hardware is identical in both the linux and windows versions, apart from the extra ram.

krychamin, Sep 23, 2008
  5. krychamin

kevin

It's got nothing to do with hardware, and everything to do with the level of support that is reasonable for a vendor to offer. You bought a One with Linux (I presume), which would have worked. Mine certainly does -- it's wifi connection is flawless. Then you installed a completely foreign OS on it -- foreign in the sense that the vendor knows nothing about how your installed it, or even whether it is a version that has been tested on the hardware he supplies.

Yes, the Acer supports Windows on the same hardware as the Linux version. But it supports a particular version of Windows installed in a particular way. Presumably if you buy a Windows version of the One, you'll get the version of Windows that Acer tests and supports, and may be able to provide updates for it it doesn't work. At the least you'll be able to return it as defective if it doesn't work as advertised.

But if you install your own OS on it, even one that is superficially similar, then it's _your_ job to make it work, not theirs.

I'm sorry, but if you buy a hardware/software combination from a vendor and change the software for something that the vendor doesn't even claim to support, then it's not the vendor's fault if it doesn't work, it's yours.

kevin, Sep 23, 2008
  6. krychamin

krychamin

right, i agree with you to a point, this is still irrelevant to me, I don't want to argue about Acer's obligation to their customers.

Can you tell me what version driver you have installed for your wireless? Did you run the live update?

krychamin, Sep 23, 2008
  7. krychamin

krychamin

I mean there must be a way of getting this to work in windows, seeing as acer can get it to work :?: I have only found one other person on here who has the problem that I'm having

krychamin, Sep 23, 2008
  8. krychamin

kevin

If you don't want to argue about XXX's obligations, you shouldn't start a post with ``XXX is an arsehole''. :)

To be honest, I don't really know. I only bought my unit last week, so I assume it has the latest updates, unless anything has been released in the last few days.

kevin, Sep 23, 2008
  9. krychamin

krychamin

thanks

krychamin, Sep 23, 2008
  10. krychamin

krychamin

OMFG!

the solution: WPA password is case-sensitive!!!! how the hell does that work? it was intermittently working in lower case, surely it shouldn't work at all?!?!?

anyway, if anyone is having this problem give it a go.

krychamin, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question