Would you upgrade to Windows 8 or just jump immediately to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

To Windows users out there, would you upgrade first to Window 8 or just jump ahead to Windows 10? Is Windows 8 any good? Or should everyone just skip it entirely and go for W10? There have been lots of bad reviews about W8, so I want to hear your opinion on the matter, to those who have tried using W8 as their operating system. How was it?

OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Don't waste your time with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Either stay at 7 or go straight to 10. Staying at 7 isn't going to give you all the advantages privacy wise that some of the folks here donning tin foil hats would have you believe, but it's better than going to 8 from a functionality and UI stance.

nytegeek, May 4, 2016
    Ian likes this.
  3. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

I would just jump immediately to Linux or BSD if I ever stopped emulating Windows 7 and XP. None of the Windows systems have ever been (or in truth will ever be) secure for use. Microsoft won't ever let it be. If you stop using 7 as your main OS, you should consider using a unix OS as your host system and emulating 7 or anything else. You might as well be using a library computer or worse if you install and use Windows 10 as your new os.

IBMPC8088, May 6, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

Sefie

From what I have heard from close friends and relatives, is that Windows 10 is nothing to write home about. I have Windows 8.1 already, and it's much better than Windows 8. I'd not switch it over Windows 10.

Sefie, May 6, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. OursIsTheFury

Ian Administrator

I'd stick with 7 or jump to 10, personally. Windows 7 is great as is - the downside is that it's several OS generations behind and will have limited support (although still a while left). Windows 10 works well and is the best bits of Windows 7 and 8.1 put together, for the most part at least :).

Ian, May 6, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. OursIsTheFury

Nestone50

If you don't upgrade to Windows 10 for free by July, you'll be paying $120.00 for the privilege come August.

Nestone50, May 6, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Windows 10 is a massive improvement over 8 and 8.1 and you wont see any compatibility issues. If you were at 7 I could see staying, but if you are running 8/8.1 there is no reason not to upgrade while you can for free.

nytegeek, May 6, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

Our home desktop is 6 years old and still running on the antiquated Windows XP. It has a 32-bit processor that maybe cannot run Windows 10 although we had tested installing Windows 7 on it and it was okay - however, the catch was that some old programs wouldn't run properly so we switched back to XP. When we get a new computer, we would go straight to Windows 10 because that is the future, so to speak.

Corzhens, May 6, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Yeah, Windows 7 doesn't have the PAE & NX requirements that 8, 8.1 and 10 have. Truth be told, you wouldn't want Windows 8 or 10 on such an old computer anyway. There are a lot of developers dropping 32 bit support all together. Even if you hadn't gone to Windows 7 you will start running into difficulty looking for 32 bit software titles after some time.

nytegeek, May 7, 2016
    Corzhens and IBMPC8088 like this.
  10. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

You'll need a compatibility layer just like you did for 16-bit and 8-bit programs previously. They seem to keep doing this. I know linux and alternative operating systems are a lot for users to consider, but I really think it's time the majority of people who can...do so. Otherwise, they're going to be stuck in the cycle of not being able to use the full potential remaining of their current and future hardware, or worse, they'll be locked into a corporate agenda who determines that for them without their consent in a way that (even though done before) is several times worse than it was in the past. I am seeing what they are doing...but in all truth, I am not liking what I am seeing from Microsoft. I hope for the best, but reality always comes back to haunt.

IBMPC8088, May 7, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

Oh, do you mean to say that it was the 32-bit processor that's giving the Windows 7 a problem? My husband also mentioned that 32-bit issue because he was given a beta of a new video editor and when he installed it in our home desktop, a message to that effect was given and the installation did not continue. The new software requires 64-bit processor. And for that, my husband has no recourse but to wait until he is able to buy a new computer.

Corzhens, May 10, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Both can be an issue. Support for 32 bit software as well as 32 bit processors is shrinking. 64 bit is the standard now. It's more painful than the transition from 16 to 32 bit was as well.

nytegeek, May 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and Corzhens like this.
  13. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

Just get a 64 bit or 128 bit host os and emulate out of it what you need. You'll always be able to support 64, 32, 16, and 8 bit programs over any OS and system you emulate which is higher than it. Without PAE/NX or chipset-enabled virtualization, you'll still be able to emulate 32 bit programs or before overtop of it.

In the past, I've emulated 64 bit systems overtop of a 32 bit chipset with full hardware emulation (albeit at half speed and slowly, but it works).

32 bit emulation on a 64 bit system or higher is fast though, and you won't have to worry about too much if you prepare for the way they change things ahead of schedule.

Unless you are doing gaming, I would just put linux on your system and make sure it's a 64 bit or 128 bit host if your chipset supports it. That way, you can still use windows or any other OS any time you want, but without having to change out hardware or redo anything on your host system later. Any of the Windows systems you want to use still can be contained and neatly organized to a single, easy to export file that you can import to that same system (or any system you want) to resume your windows experience and system from anywhere.

This is what I did and got used to after deciding to use something more stable for both personal and business use, but needing to be able to interact with and still support and use windows for other people's requests. If this works for you, you could try it and it may make computer choices easier and more flexible for you so even if you decide to use 7, 8, 10, or anything else, you never have to worry about physically changing the system to make those choices for quite a while. :)

IBMPC8088, May 12, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

Sworden

Ignoring all these random privacy concerns (do you honestly think MS cared about what your next essay is about?), I would jump straight to Windows 10. Windows 8 really isn't that good, and while Windows 8.1 was a huge improvement, there really is no reason not go straight to 10.

Windows 7, while not bad, really is out dated. The task manager isn't as good, the search is horrible, it doesn't have Edge (a fast, slim browser), and it takes longer to load up. There are many other reasons to upgrade, but again, don't worry about Windows 8, just go straight to 10.

Sworden, May 15, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

IBMPC8088

MS doesn't care what your next essay is about. But they DO care about harvesting your banking information just in case they want to "opt you in" to a paid service once they switch it automatically so that they can start to bill you according to the TOS you never read before using their less than adequate products. People don't seem to realize how much information they trap and that it is not just student computers and library computers they are doing this to, but ALL of them. All the systems that are supposed to be safeguarded and HIPPA compliant no longer are, and your medical records, SSN number, and everything else about you that is supposed to be confidential or safeguarded to prevent identity theft goes to the next available buyer. That's not including other information people write down or save on their machines that are worth a lot of value to everyone from detectives and CPS to random courts and people just trying to build something from nothing. People don't seem to realize how far and how long that rabbit hole is, or how much money they make from compromising you. It's not just your essays or reports, it's all the information that could ever be digitized or stored on a private machine being compromised. That's important! Maybe the average joe in the public doesn't realize it, but it is.

Windows 10 is "outdated" compared to anything that is security conscious, not bloated unnecessarily requiring gigs of ram and practically a terabyte of hard drive space just for halfway-decent use. Who bothers to use Windows Search? Learn where your files are stored and you seldom if ever have to! Who on earth would use "Edge" anyway? Are they begging for something even worse than the previous version of Internet Explorer? All Edge is is Internet Explorer revised, and even though IE has always been bad, they've made it worse and even more insecure with "edge". Cuts like a knife against your privacy and efficiency in use. No thanks. It does NOT take longer to load up unless you let your drive get fragmented or don't reduce the boot time or turn off searching and connecting to network shares at startup. You'll find that even with that off, Windows 10 takes LONGER to start than Windows 7 does with that disabled. There's no reason to downgrade to Windows 8 and definitely no reason to downgrade to Windows 10 unless you get some sort of a thrill out of compromising yourself and cutting your system resources in half just to do it. Blah. Why? Why on earth would you do that to yourself or anyone else? It's madness!

IBMPC8088, May 16, 2016
  16. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Edge isn't even feature complete yet. I would hardly think it is a very strong motivator to upgrade. Windows 7 is still the basis most developers use for software design, so it's a little soon to dismiss it as out dated.

nytegeek, May 16, 2016
Ask a Question