Would this work on my D150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by AspireOverdrive, Jul 5, 2009.

1. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

Looking at picking up another wireless card (for some reason I like having multiple wireless cards) for my netbook ... this should work right? I know it's the same 5007eg chipset that came in the laptop.

THanks

AspireOverdrive, Jul 5, 2009
  2. AspireOverdrive

DutchDK

If you mean to have two WiFi cards in the netbook at the same time, I'm not sure it'll work - I seem to recall that the connector for the interrnal 3G modem is a bit picky on what kind of mini-PCIe cards it accept, and you also need to have an extra set of antenna's installed. Finally, if you get the extra antennas installed, you run the risk of burning out the receiver logic on one or both cards, if you transmit.
    I know that I have done that when I inadvertently connected with my old wardriving laptop containing two pcmcia cards and one internal mini-pci card. One of the pcmcia cards connected, and the other pcmcia card receiverlogic died due to the sudden influx of 100 mw rf power directly above its antennasection.

DutchDK, Jul 5, 2009
  3. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

Planning on using only one at a time.

AspireOverdrive, Jul 5, 2009
  4. AspireOverdrive

DutchDK

Unless you plan on physically taking the non-used card out, or finding a way to switch the non-used card off on the hardware level, the card and thereby the circuitry will still be powered, and the receiver circuitry will get the RF energy directly induced from the transmitting card, with a high possiblity of getting fried.

DutchDK, Jul 6, 2009
  5. AspireOverdrive

AspireOverdrive

Yeah I plan on removing it. Swapping wireless cards in these things takes like 30 seconds.

AspireOverdrive, Jul 6, 2009
  6. AspireOverdrive

adrianaitken

Can't see the issue, a tablet PC of mine has two wi-fi cards in it. I run them both at the same time. Never had an issue.
    (and if you're wondering what I use it for - one connects to a public/pay-for hotspot and the other is set for ad-hoc to allow all and sundry to use my tablet as a proxy to the internet).

adrianaitken, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question