Would this iPod drive work?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by adamsweeting, Mar 19, 2009.

1. adamsweeting

adamsweeting

Hi People...

Firstly I want to say "great forum!" - I now have 10.5.6 running very nicely on a 16Gb USB 2 Pen drive, and I'm using the p1ss poor internal SSD as storage!
    Thanks to the guides on here, all hardware (expect WiFi - got a Dell card coming in the post) working great.

Quick question... I want to swap out the SSD for an iPod HD, I've seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPOD-4TH-GEN-4G-U ... 240%3A1318

Would this work in my AA110? - I've got the 110 with the 15Gb SSD.

Thanks in advance

adamsweeting, Mar 19, 2009
  2. adamsweeting

ronime

That won't work. It has the wrong connector. You need the HD from an iPod 5G which has a ZIF connector.

Be wary of "refurbished" iPod drives for sale on ebay that may turn out to be faulty and also don't expect miracles in terms of performance (don't expect much more than 20MB/s).

ronime, Mar 19, 2009
  3. adamsweeting

adamsweeting

Thanks for the reply... Ok - so would have to be a iPod video hard drive then yeah?

So for best performance is Compact Flash (and adaptor) the best route?

4. adamsweeting

adamsweeting

5. adamsweeting

ronime

The MK6008GAH should work, it is 8mm high though and will be a bit of a squeeze. The MK----GAL Toshiba drives are 5mm high.

Bearing in mind the £50 cost and your quest for best performance, you might consider selling your A110 and putting the £50 towards buying a SATA HDD-equipped A150 instead. This is the route that I took and I don't regret it one bit.

ronime, Mar 19, 2009
  6. adamsweeting

adamsweeting

I did consider doing that... however I've only just got it, and spent a bit of time getting OS X sorted.

I am using the internal SSD as just storage at the moment, and I am booting OS X from a very, very speedy USB 2 stick - I have to say I'm quite impressed with the performance. I just don't like having a stick hanging out the side of the machine.

Hmmmnnnn... decisions, decisions.

Does anyone know how much better a 1.8" ATA Hard drive would compare against the stock internal SSD?

7. adamsweeting

ronime

The Intel SSDs shipped by Acer have sustained read/write performance of about 35MB/s and 10MB/s respectively. This is for large, sustained transfers. Performance for smaller transfers will be significantly worse.

Early Toshiba 1.8" drives will read and write at about 20MB/s sustained at best. Smaller transfers will be slightly less performant but much better than the SSD.

The latest Toshiba and Samsung 1.8" drives have better performance but are relatively expensive. I seem to recall figures upwards of 30MB/s being mentioned.

A decent SATA HDD will transfer at almost 70MB/s in the AA1.

ronime, Mar 19, 2009
  8. adamsweeting

adamsweeting

Ok.. Thanks for that.

I think I will go for the A150 after consideration. I have fallen in love with the Aspire One. I had no idea it would run OS X this well!
    I have a Liquid cooled, overclocked Quad Core "Hack Pro" as my main rig, I've been using OS X for years now - and I am blown away that a little machine like this can run Leopard this nicely. I wouldn't think Logic Pro would run too nice but but I'm more than happy with it.

A colleague of mine may be persuaded to buy it off me as I've blown his mind with Leopard running on a NetBook. So I hopefully I'll get a A150 soon, and be rid of the horrible internal disk performance.

I've made a good .dmg of my install - so I'll just hook the drive up to my main rig, and restore the .dmg to the new hard drive.... et voila!

Ask a Question