Would KDE 4.1.3 run okay on an Intel Atom Netbook?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by markw10, Dec 31, 2008.

1. markw10

markw10

I currently use KDE 3.5 but am considering switching to a different Linux Distribution and using KDE 4.1.3 or may even wait for KDE 4.2 but since I'm using an Atom based Netbook I'm wondering how well it would run. Would I experience any type of slowdown with system performance?
    I do mostly minor work, mostly Mozilla Thunderbird for email, Firefox for web browsing, OpenOffice for word processing, and at times some of the programs like Kontact for scheduling and other things. I have 2GB of memory on the system but often do have these programs open at the same time. Would I experience any type of slowdowns or performance problems?

markw10, Dec 31, 2008
  2. markw10

esaym

It will be fine. Worst case you might have to go into the options and turn off some of the desktop effects.

esaym, Dec 31, 2008
  3. markw10

markw10

How important is the graphics processor to KDE 4.1.3? I don't even know offhand what processor is used by most Atom based netbooks but I'm wondering if that could be more of an issue than the CPU.

markw10, Dec 31, 2008
  4. markw10

esaym

My only experience with kde4 is a mixed debian unstable/experiment install in virtualbox on my desktop. So there is no graphics acceleration what so ever. All the default effects still work fine, but I do know that you can disable all desktop effects, that would make the need for a graphics processor irrelevant. KDE4 was written with performance in mind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4

esaym, Jan 2, 2009
  5. markw10

Rapax

I doubt it. I have 4.1.3 running on my desktop machine, with a dual AMD64, 128MB graphics card and 4GB of Ram, and it's slow as hell. Very pretty though.

Edit: I installed the nightly builds of 4.2 on my desktop yesterday, and they're massively faster. I might just go ahead and try getting it running on the One, just for the show-off factor

Rapax, Jan 2, 2009
  6. markw10

Dulwithe

Mandriva 2009 KDE4 works fine. Needs some tweaks (as all distros do), but you can check them out on this forum under "Mandriva" section.

Some of the kde4 desktop effects are pretty cool. Like exploding windows when you close them, and other stuff!

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 8, 2009
  7. markw10

Andysan

Can anyone offer a conclusion as to whether KDE 4.2 runs acceptably please? I want to install the KDE desktop within Ubuntu Intrepid but won't bother if the performance will be bad.

Also, as i have the SSD model space is a premium, so can i simply uninstall the KDE packages and free up the space without breaking the OS?

Cheers.

Andysan, Mar 28, 2009
Ask a Question