Would a 'normal' Acer laptop charger work OK for the ONE?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by joe.pelayo, Nov 17, 2008.

1. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Hello everybody.

I was wondering if it was possible to use another Acer laptop's AC adapter with the Acer Aspire One. Would there be any 'collateral' effects?

I ask this because I have (now as a desktop machine :mrgreen: ) an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, whose cable is already run behind the desk. I've noticed the adapter for that bigger laptop (is bigger :D ) works at more than double the current (3.42A compared to 1.58A; both at 19V), but it can also be connected to the ONE (it physically fits).

Would that difference in power output damage the Aspire One? Or would it just reflect in shorter charge times? (I mean, less time to charge the battery).

I'd certainly love to use just one adapter at home (and spare the hassle of being passing cables behind the desk).

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Nov 17, 2008
  2. joe.pelayo

acer3ie

Hi Joe,

There should be no problem the laptop will only take what it needs from the big power supply and as long as it fits with no problem.

By the way i have done the same as you but with different model of Acer and I have no problems with it.

acer3ie, Nov 18, 2008
  3. joe.pelayo

donec

acer3ie, is correct as far as he goes but you should know that if you do happen to get a short inside of your AAO that causes it to draw more current then the extra current available will burn out more components and probably make the AAO useless. Also if for some reason a component in your AAO degrades and lowers the circuit resistance then since the voltage doesn't change the current will increase which will burn out components. This would not happen if the proper brick was used since it limits the input current. Of course if this happens you can just buy a new AAO as they are so cheap.

donec, Nov 18, 2008
  4. joe.pelayo

dattaway

Make sure you have a fast acting fuse for your Acer. Common engineering practice for computer motherboards is to include a SCR "crowbar" circuit to clamp the power supply to ground if the voltage spikes above a maximum threshold. It only takes a microsecond to trigger this and depends on a fuse designed into the circuit. Without the fuse, there is no recovery. Just lots of smoke.

dattaway, Nov 18, 2008
  5. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll consider them.
    Do you mean that I should have it always plugged to a UPS or something like that? I am not familiar with laptop's internal circuitry...

Joe.

joe.pelayo, Nov 18, 2008
  6. joe.pelayo

acer3ie

Hi Donec,

I also work with electronics. I not have worked as long as you.

If Acer has design these latop right they would have put a fuse on the input of DC socket on the one so it should blow first. My one even after I added the hard disk to my one it draws 1 amp max even when charging my one so what I am saying even the .5A could do some damage. I have tested my one power supply and it will give 2.25 amp of a load so that is about 1 amp over the rated 1.5 amp.

acer3ie, Nov 18, 2008
  7. joe.pelayo

dattaway

You'll need a 2 amp fuse going into your Acer.

dattaway, Nov 18, 2008
  8. joe.pelayo

jamesb72

Yes this is definately fine - we have an Acer3050 'normal' laptop, and use this power supply for the Acer One no problems at all (have done since day one, as lead is already behind the sofa so easy to grab and plug in).

Both PSU are 19.2v and connector is the same, I think the normal PSU is 6Amps and the One is 2.2 amps or something like that.

Obviously the other way round won't work the One PSU won't be up to it :)

jamesb72, Nov 18, 2008
  9. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

I guess that would void the warranty, wouldn't it?

joe.pelayo, Nov 18, 2008
  10. joe.pelayo

donec

Hi Acer3ie, questions is did they design it right or did they expect users to only use the furnished equipment and cut cost where they could? Also who wants to take the chance?

donec, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question