worth getting SSD for XP?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by agashka, Oct 18, 2008.

1. agashka

agashka

Hi, I am currently on my way to buy an Aspire One. I've read many reviews to find out that the SSD performance was mediocre.
    I saw it can be replaced by CF or others HDD, but I can't find any comparison. I'd really love to own the SSD version, 8GB is more then enough, but since I'm gonna run XP, I'd rather have something faster. How does upgraded SSD stand up next to Hard Drives?

agashka, Oct 18, 2008
  2. agashka

MasterMind

I'm currently using SSD with, while running XP.

Please search the forum and you can see there are a few things needs to be done to make the XP faster.
    I used to run it on a 1G version and I was satisfied with the speed. I'm getting the RAM upgrade to 1.5G now and I believe the performance will be better.

MasterMind, Oct 18, 2008
  3. agashka

agashka

Yes I've seen alot of informations:
    The intel SSD is slower then the Samsung one.
    The use of EWF filter & minlogon to speed up windows
    Disabling the pagefile, indexing and tweaking of windows
    I know my way very well around Windows XP, And I care take care of tweaking it for optimum speed;
    What I'm really concerned about is, getting the SSD model and upgrading the SSD to another 8GB, but a faster one, does it really worth it? Will I see much of a difference?

agashka, Oct 18, 2008
  4. agashka

goofball

If you're going to upgrade the SSD, you may as well go with the HDD version where the 2.5" SATA SSD's are more plentiful.

goofball, Oct 19, 2008
  5. agashka

agashka

Ah, so what I can see if on the HDD based models, it uses SATA instead of IDE. But from what I can see on the web, 8GB 2.5" SSDs costs alot, and CF-to-SATA adapters goes on for ~$50, and that doesn't include the CF itself.

What about buying a SDD like the default that comes with it? They are 1.8" Right?

agashka, Oct 19, 2008
  6. agashka

goofball

32GB 2.5" SSD's can be had normally for $100 after rebates.
    yes, they are 1.8" but they are not really any cheaper than 2.5" versions, and not as easy to find since it's a PATA ZIF connector that they use.

goofball, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question