Won't shutdown or restart

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rblee, Feb 2, 2009.

1. rblee

rblee

I normally only use hibernate and standby but recently, I just realized that I can't shutdown or restart anymore. I've tried alt-ctrl-del but nothing happens. I can force it to shutdown by holding the power button but the same problem is still there...

Does anyone else have this problem? I didn't see it in my search. Please help, thanks.

rblee, Feb 2, 2009
  2. rblee

Snapphane

I take it you run Linux with Linpus? I have the same problem and haven't found a solution. Happened when I updated HAL, which also broke auto-mount. I have solved auto-mount but not the shutdown/re-start part.

My investigation has taken me so far that I'm sure it's not the computer. I can do a few commands from the prompt as root and get it to shutdown or re-start properly. But whatever script that controls the on/off software button inside the system must be damaged or otherwise incorrect.

Any guys out there with an idea or two on as how to solve it?

Snapphane, Feb 2, 2009
  3. rblee

rblee

Oh right, I forgot to mention that I'm running on Windows XP. Yea, I noticed that only Linux users had this problem as well.

rblee, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question