Won't read anything

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LilAnn, Jun 25, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn

I have a copy of windows 7, and 3 computers that need an operating system. I don't even care which one it ends up on. Well, the nicest of the 3 used to have Vista on it. I'm not sure what happened but my husband thought it just needed windows put on... Vista or higher. I put the disk in and when I turned it on it didnt read the monitor or the mouse. The lights on the keyboard will light up for a second and go back of (the regular deal). Anybody have any idea how this could be fixed?
    The other 2 may be in worse shape. One gives me a missing ndlrt message, and the other one won't turn on at all.

LilAnn, Jun 25, 2015
  2. LilAnn

something back

hi

What model of computers have you.

WHAT IS THE MODEL giving the ntld message

I have answered you on your previous POSTING

something back, Jun 25, 2015
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn

They were both built by my husband and his brother. The one that won't read was a straight up gaming computer. The only thin I know for sue about it is it ran on Vista. The other one is just kindof slapped together. It's very basic. It was running XP until it crashed.

LilAnn, Jun 26, 2015
  4. LilAnn

something back

Your problem trying to load windows 7 is a simple one to solve given you
    have the cd/dvd setup disks.

You need to go into the motherboard settings, and alter the boot sequence.

You need to alter the settings to boot from the cd first followed by the harddrive.

The reasons I asked which computer model you had was to enable you to press the right
    keys.

At a guess try pressing the ESC key “immediately” after powering on.
    Or try pressing the F2 key “immediately” after powering on to open the motherboard settings.

Don't forget to save the alterations in the motherboard settings.

If you have altered it correctly it will now boot from your setup cd/dvd's

N.b I would like to suggest that you replace the motherboard batteries in all the computers

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    something back, Jun 26, 2015
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn

Thank you! I'll get with my husband and try it today. I have a computer up and running on XP now. As of last night, as a matter of fact. But It is barely usable. It'll just get me by until I can get the 7 up and running.

I bet someone who didn't know that there was such a thing as motherboard batteries would look pretty silly. I wouldn't want to be that silly person. If I were that silly person I might say something like, "There are motherboard batteries? Where do I find those?"

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  6. LilAnn

something back

something back, Jun 28, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  7. LilAnn

LilAnn

I'm going to have to order some. I can handle a $1.50. Especially if it can make even the smallest difference.

I have another question! The system I'm running XP on is really old. I don't know exactly how old, but my husband already had it built before I met him 8 years ago. He says that's the problem, but I wanted to run it by you... when I went to install 7 it said I was missing a drive. So my husband had me install XP first. That worked. But when I tried to get 7 installed it didn't even know a disk was in there. We put in a new disk drive, and still nothing. Oh yeah, and it read other cd's just fine. I even tried using my mother in law's disc and it wouldn't read it. Is this because my system is so outdated? Other than a newer computer, is there an easy fix?

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  8. LilAnn

something back

“Have you” gone into the motherboard settings, and altered the boot sequence?.
    you may have to do this every time you boot due to the battery having failed

You need to alter the settings to boot from the cd first followed by the harddrive.

Is the cd drive listed in the motherboard settings ?

It may not be finding the drive because the battery has failed

Explain how you are reading things from the cd drive is this in xp

You say that you tried to get 7 installed it didn't even know a disk was in there

Are you trying this procedure AFTER OPENING XP?

You old machine may not be powerful enough to run windows 7

Thanks for the likes, but you don't need to do so many. BUT THANKS

something back, Jun 30, 2015
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn

lol the "likes" are my way of giving the silent "thank you" nod. People should know they're appreciated.

My husband changed it to "boot from cd", and when i start the computer and its going through the memory check and everything it'll say "boot from cd", sit still for a moment, and then shows me the big "Windows xp" logo.

I don't know how to be able to tell if the cd drive is listed on the motherboard, but in XP its listed in the "my computer screen". When I put in another cd i don't play it, I just see it listed. Oh, and when i put in the xp cd because I wanted to test the cd drive, it said on the "my computer" screen that it was an audio cd.

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  10. LilAnn

something back

It's just dawned on me

Do you have a dvd drive or is it a cd drive

THE WINDOWS 7 DISK IS DVD

IF YOU ONLY HAVE A CD DRIVE THEN THIS IS WHY IT SAYS CANNOT
    FIND A DRIVE.

11. LilAnn

something back

WITH THE DISK IN THE DRIVE BY HITTING THE ENTER KEY IT SHOULD START LOADING FROM THE CD/DVD DRIVE

I'll WRITE AN ALTERNATIVE WAY FOR YOU TO TRY

Does you computer have a usb socket?

GET INTO THE MOTHERBOARD SETTINGS AGAIN, WITH A FLASH DRIVE IN THE COMPUTER DOES IT LIST THE FLASH DRIVE
    IN THE MOTHERBOARD SETTINGS ?

IF SO, Lets try to tackle this a different way.

Is your drive a dvd drive if so then we can try a new process,

WHEN IN XP, If you right click on the dvd drive with the windows 7 disk in it
    does it list the program contents.

If so then, we are going to create a usb flash drive that will help you install windows 7
    from that flash drive , download this program it's called rufus

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Also this program called any burn

http://www.anyburn.com/

NOW USING ANY BURN choose create image from disk

This will COMPRESS the windows 7 disk to a file call an ISO

NOTE where it puts it on your computer.

You will need a “usb flash drive of 4gb or above in the usb socket”.

Now using RUFUS leave ALL THE SETTINGS UNCHANGED.

Where it shows the iso image text just to the right is an icon of a cd/disk
    click on this and choose the file that RUFUS made the ISO file.

YOU CAN CREATE THIS ON YOUR MOTHERS COMPUTER THEN LOAD WINDOWS FROM THE FLASH DRIVE TO YOUR MACHINE
    IF YOUR MACHINE HAS A FLASH DRIVE THAT IS LISTED IN THE MOTHERBOARD SETTINGS.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  12. LilAnn

LilAnn

It does have usb, and it does list it in my computer. It doesn't list anything in the cd/dvd with windows 7 in there.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try the flash drive this evening when I can get access to her computer. I'll let you know in the morning if I'm on 7 or not. Seriously, thank you SO MUCH! I gave you a like for the last post. You deserve it :D

LilAnn, Jul 1, 2015
Ask a Question