WLAN / WIFI Card Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techie, Aug 18, 2008.

1. techie

barbapopa

Ah... also tried 7.6.1.149 plus old bios 3109 that I found randomly on rapidshare. Nothing.

barbapopa, Nov 11, 2008
  2. techie

barbapopa

crazy, this. If i updated to 3305 it works perfectly, but it did that before, and as soon as i do a reboot/hibernate/sleep/whatever, it'll be screwed again. What the hell setting is changing when i reboot that's causing the atheros to stop working? Damnation.

barbapopa, Nov 11, 2008
  3. techie

sputnik

Same here. BIOS v3.305 plus a click on Driver Update did the job for me. It's been several days and no Wi-Fi problems. I used to have these problems daily.

sputnik, Nov 12, 2008
  4. techie

mzc

You have just stick to the default BIOS version you had when you bought it.. check your router settings then check the wifi card settings. driver / BIOS updates are only to improve but the machine should work fine in 802.11 b/g. If it still does not work, I would suggest that you call Acer, since they have full support XP units.

mzc, Nov 13, 2008
  5. techie

boatman1

Just an update of info-- running XP, 1 gig ram, 120 gig drive Acer One-- with version 3305 bios update and NOW the 7.6.1.160 version Atheros driver.

Working just fine after two days--

However I also spoke with a "level 2" technician at Acer-- I was still getting a few dropouts even with the above upgrades------------ he recommended that I set my router for a "G" wifi as the Atheros is a G card--- the router had been set to "g/n" --- after changing it to G I have a very stable connection. I had also dumped the Microsoft update version driver listed in a previous posting and instead installed the 7.6.1.160 driver listed on this web site---

NOW-- the connection is extremely steady and very fast---

SO------------- 3505 bios, 7.6.1.160 wifi driver, router set to "G" ---- that's it I am DONE!

boatman1, Nov 13, 2008
  6. techie

boatman1

Got to say that I am still having a few wifi disconnects --- not as bad as before but still a pain. I will not update further than bios 3305 and ver 160 driver as this combination seems to be the most stable for me. I will watch this site for further information--

The wifi is usable --- just not optimum.

boatman1, Nov 14, 2008
  7. techie

boatman1

I thought I posted the FIX here-- ???

Anyway here goes again-- Acer One running XP, 1 gig RAM, 120 gig hard drive, Bios ver 3305. driver ver 160 -- the fix is to just TURN OFF Quality of Service.

Go to the Control Panel and open Network Connections

Right click on the wifi connection and choose Properties

UNCHECK the box for QoS Service-- and then reboot the machine. Got this fix off the Acerguy website from an Acer technician who posted there. It works! Many reboots -- virtually no drop-outs, and very very fast connection. Such a simple FIX!

boatman1, Nov 16, 2008
  8. techie

AspireOneChris

What about the linux version ? I cant seem to find any options for the wifi

AspireOneChris, Nov 16, 2008
  9. techie

mzc

do NOT upgrade BIOS to 3305 or 3304. probably downgrade to 3114 or 3109. this is the only fix you need. for wifi issues, crash/hang issues, then run linpus online update. This is for any Linux distro.

This is what I did to fix my issues with wifi; so far everything works great. you can contact Linpus tech support if your still using the OEM Distro. BUT make sure you have check your router settings thoroughly, because sometimes your router is not configured properly for AAO.

mzc, Nov 17, 2008
  10. techie

bomby

Wow, thank you very much for this. I tried every other fix in this thread like flashing bios and updating drivers a million times and none has worked until you posted about turning off QoS. Stable for 2 days so far. I'll post again if I get any more problems.

bomby, Nov 18, 2008
  11. techie

mikkitobi

I just joined the forum.

I have a 150 windows xp 1gb ram 160gb hd 6 cell battery (and a 9 cell battery too).

My aspire one is only 2 weeks old and the wifi problems were driving me crazy. My bios is virtually the latest (3304 i think) and i was running the very latest atheros driver and still no joy. sometimes wifi dropped every 30 minutes other times lasted over a day....

a reboot did not help. i needed power off and power on cycles to get it working again.

i was not prepared to set my router to 802.11g because i travel and most hotpoints are 802.11b and i suffered the same problems there....

it seems these wifi problems have been known about for absolutely ages and acer are clearly not taking it very seriously...

so i gave up!

i just bought an intel 4965AGN wifi module on ebay (cost just over 20 pounds) and fitted it this morning... took about 30 minutes. the card is bg and also 802.11n but i didnt bother opening up the aspire one screen etc to lay the additional antenna cable... instead i just connected the b and g cables from the atheros and am happy not to bother with 802.11n for now.

the results are amazing..... not a single wifi drop so far, the wifi switch now works perfectly and the signal strength is significantly better than the atheros. sitting where i am the atheros would show a signal of at best 36M but with the intel i get 48-54!

so some words of advice. if you get really fed up and cant be bothered waiting months for acer to ever produce a fix and your wasted time is worth more than 20 pounds.... do the intel mod!

M

mikkitobi, Nov 18, 2008
  12. techie

polyester

I have tried every trick on these forums without success. There is something seriously wrong with the Atheros wifi card installed in these computers.
    I gave up and installed an Atheros AR5008 802.11n wifi card and it works without problems. Didn't even have to install drivers. The computer recognized the card and now I'm connected at 130Mps and browsing without problems. There are three connectors on this card and I connected the antennas to the first and third.

polyester, Nov 26, 2008
  13. techie

goapy

So, does the Intel card have its own utility for windows (Vista), or just for XP? I like the Intel connection utility for XP, and I'd like to use it with Vista as well, but it seems that only windows can manage the card in Vista.

goapy, Nov 26, 2008
  14. techie

bukzin

Alfa USB 'card'

My Aspire One (model # 150-1126 160g 6 cell) is being shipped to me.

I have been using a Alfa USB wi-fi adaptor ($60 USD) with my Dell laptop
    and it works great with excellent range (its 500mw).

Will this type devise work with my new Aspire XP version?

Will I need (or want) to switch off the on-board wi-fi card that seem
    to be such a problem?

Thanks for the newbie help!

bukzin, Nov 27, 2008
  15. techie

sanger440

Just got my new 8g Linpus aspirone. Wifi drops regularly as reported by others. Updated the driver with live update. No difference. The thing surfs fast when connected, then hangs now and then, then quits. If I disconnect in then reconnect in the network manager, it works again for a while and then quits. If I stream videos on youtube, it stays connected for quite a while. But if I browse forums and are idle for anytime at all, the connections starts dropping and eventually quits.

We need a fix for these linux boxes. Or maybe it is just a defective lan card since others seem to have luck with a usb dongle.

Sanger

Update: I disabled all the suspend stuff in the powersave center. It did not seem to help. Then I rebooted my d-link router and have been surfing for the last few hours with no dropped wifi. I even fired up Skype for 20 minutes or so as a test and it ran flawlessly. Maybe I will not have to send this thing back after all? Needs more testing, here's hopin

Udate 2: 24 hours later no problems at all. Great connection, no drops, seems that all is well. My router is an Dlink Di-624 which has an atheros chipset. After the router reboot above, problems all gone.

sanger440, Nov 30, 2008
  16. techie

sinker442

sinker442, Dec 1, 2008
  17. techie

lordlouis

hello, acer aspire one 8GB with linpus, my wireless seemed to disconnect loads, walking closer to the router would reconnect it and then it is fine again for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour or so very frustrating. Is there anyway of trying the power saving change in linpus? haven't seen one yet in this thread, cheers

lordlouis, Dec 5, 2008
  18. techie

mzc

What's your BIOS and OS version?

mzc, Dec 9, 2008
  19. techie

lolknight

Been running Aspire One 120GB/6cell/XP version with Windows 7 pre-beta and Ubuntu (and XP at some point), with the wifi crapping out every few hours, sometimes even 10 minutes after booting up. Updated to BIOS v3308, Atheros Driver 7.6.1.149, and turned off QoS, all to no avail. In fact, updating the driver from 7.6.0.1xx to the newest version seemed to make it worse. I'm very frustrated with the situation (as I use this every day, almost more than my main computer)... anyone have any other fixes that might work? I have half a mind to convince Acer to refund or RMA my machine... but I don't know if RMA will even fix the issue, I'd be out of my netbook for at least a week, and I have nowhere to back up my system (all my other hard drives are full). If I do an RMA would they give me the 120gb version or are the 160gb versions the only ones available now?

lolknight, Dec 9, 2008
  20. techie

boatman1

I am running ver 3305, and version 160 driver, Power set to Normal. This works just fine.

boatman1, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question