WLAN Slower than other 802.11g laptops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ani88, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ani88

ani88

I've tested the speed on my AAO Xp (1gb/120gb) WLAN in comparison to my two other laptops (hp and apple powerbook g4), both have the same compatibility with 802.11g, and found that the AAO's wifi performed poorly. When tested at the same location (<10 feet from the router) simultaneously with my two other laptops on SPEEDTEST.NET, the AAO had a test result of 2923 kb/s (download), 408 kb/s (upload) and a 180ms ping while Powerbook G4 resulted in 4722 kb/s (download), 862 kb/s (upload) with a 199 ms ping and HP with similar results to the Powerbook. Looking at these statistics, I am confused why the AAO's WLAN card performed so poorly at only about 50% of HP and Powerbook's. I don't understand this problem at all since the speed reported is 54 Mps with full bars.

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ani88, Aug 16, 2008
  2. ani88

Hkt

I had the same problem... maybe everyone with XP..

i've solved that problem changing the POWER SAVE MODE

right clic on My Computer
    Properties
    Hardware Tab
    Device Manager
    Network Adaptors
    right clic on the ATHEROS Wireless Network Adapter
    Properties
    Advanced Options Tab
    POWER SAVE MODE
    change the value to OFF
    OK

Wireless will then restart connections.. you should notice the difference in speed

(My XP is in Spanish.. maybe will be some differences in the directions)

Hope that helps

Hkt, Aug 21, 2008
  3. ani88

ani88

Unfortunately, I'm still receiving speeds only at HALF of my Powerbook G4 (according to Speedtest.net). Thank you!

ani88, Aug 21, 2008
  4. ani88

Hkt

MMhh that's not normal..

mybe changing the drivers will solve the problem..

I'm using version 7.6.0.224 (May-20-2008) of the atheros drivers in combination with the power save mode off..

try updating the drivers and power save mode off

good luck!

Hkt, Aug 21, 2008
  5. ani88

jzx

Doing a proper test, within your own network would give better data. Time how long it takes to copy a 200meg file across or something.

Just not speedtest.net, it's not exactly the most reliable connection checker out there! I have run three consecutive tests here with the same server on their site, and gotten 3 completely different results somewhat similar to yours.

jzx, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question