'WLAN settings' dialog box

Discussion in 'Linux' started by choogle, Apr 5, 2009.

1. choogle

choogle

I've had a 'WLAN settings' dialog box appear quite frequently recently while using my Acer Aspire.

It says:
    'Please enter your preferred access point (which has default as my BT Home Hub)

Encryption type: WPA & WPA2 Personal
    Password:

I've been entering the password as being my Wireless Key, but I'm not sure if this is right (although I've previously been able to connect OK).

I'm also noticing that I'm often having trouble getting web pages to download over the last few days, and another messae that I've been noticing is 'Your connection has been reset'.

Any ideas what might be going on, or what I could be doing differently?

choogle, Apr 5, 2009
  2. choogle

garrettp

What type of router or access point do you have? Model number? That info would help us out more.

Chances are that you have it set to renew the DHCP lease or something to that effect which makes you have to renew your LAN connection.

garrettp, Apr 5, 2009
  3. choogle

acering

I've been using my AAO 110 since August 2008 and from day one have been having the same issue as the OP ie:
    I no longer need to enter my password. I just hit escape.
    Then another dialog comes up saying connection not established then after a few seconds it looks for my network, finds it,
    hooks up and that's it. All cool after that.
    The WLAN dialog box issue does not impact on network use once connection is established, it's just a hassle, but have not found a way to un-hassle it.
    Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.
    BTW I am using Linpus that came with the AAO
    We have 6 computers in the house: mac, windows and linux all connect immediately except for this minor issue with my AAO.

acering, Jul 4, 2009
  4. choogle

derek

I too have the same issue as Acering and the others describe. However it has only happened recently. In my case i just hit the cancel box ie without entering the wireless password again, the box disappears and within a few seconds its starts the process of connecting to my network - well as it should have done in the first instance.
    I have upgraded to FF3 recently but cant imagine it is connected?
    What and where are the ref to DHCP settings??

Its just annoying and would really appreciate if anyone can throw light on how to correct this.

derek, Feb 22, 2010
  5. choogle

derek

Update to my post above.
    Playing around with my second AA1 i thought i would apply the "10 Tweaks by Register Hardware" article but just the "fine tune it for the SSD storage model" tweak.
    Since then the above problem has started appearing.
    I then went in to remove the additional code line and obviously messed it up as it wouldnt properly boot up- but thats another story. Still after doing a factor reset and just having ff3.6 installed its blisteringly faster to start up.
    Will eventually try and put back my first AA1to see if the theory over the wlan settings is correct and will report back.

derek, Mar 11, 2010
  6. choogle

netspread

Try with your router set to AES only (not TKIP+AES). Unless of course you have WPA only devices - WPA uses TKIP. WPA2 uses AES, but also supports TKIP for WPA compatibility.

WPA2 set to "AES only" solved the issue on my netbook.

netspread, Sep 17, 2010
Ask a Question