WLAN not working

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by xmlspy, Sep 6, 2008.

1. xmlspy

xmlspy

I have the XP 120 GB version of the Aspire One. The WLAN is not working, the light on the case is not lighting up at all. When I move the switch the device tells me "Wireless LAN enabled" or "Wireless LAN disabled", but it doesn't seem to do anything on XP. It's like the card is not getting good contact. I did a restoration to factory defaults and got the WLAN card to work again, but after half a day of playing with the One the WLAN card went dead again. I have reinstalled drivers and still no results. Is this a hardware malfunction? Should I return the unit? This is very disappointing since I have had this unit for about one day.

It seems like I could remove the card and do the wireless N mod but then I void my warranty. :( What do you guys suggest?

[update]
    When I try to reinstall the drivers it tells me "The Device may not be preset or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system. Insert or Reinsert Now."

xmlspy, Sep 6, 2008
  2. xmlspy

xmlspy

For a simple fix just make sure that you get "Wireless LAN enabled" and then go to Start > Shutdown, wait a few seconds and then start the machine again.

I'll be doing a few tests and figure out why the card disappears in the first place, if I can narrow down the problem then the solution can be found. It probably has to do with power options and the machine coming back from Standby or hibernation. It's like the machine forgets to power up the card after those states.

xmlspy, Sep 6, 2008
  3. xmlspy

kavlito

I have the new ZG5 model from Best Buy, XP Home, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD. I am also experiencing the Atheros WLAN disappearing. Two scenarios: 1-when it comes out of standby or hibernation, and 2-out of nowhere, I have no LAN/Internet access. Each time I check the Device Manager, it has a yellow exclamation point. If I try disable/enable, it disappears from Device Manager. I have to shutdown, remove power and battery before it comes back again. I don't know if this is a Windows driver issue or not. Windows XP Home has always sucked on all PC's I've had it on. Has anyone been able to find drivers for Atheros ar5007eg?

kavlito, Sep 8, 2008
  4. xmlspy

rikardry

I also have the 1 GB 120 gb Xp model and have similar problems with WLAN disappearing. In addition to sometimes after waking up from hibernation it seems to happen during heavy use of the card, for example during file transfers of big video files over my home network and then simultaneously using a web browser. I have installed Vista as a dual boot solution, and I get the same problems there, but less frequently, and the wlan connection seems to last longer. When it dies, the wlan switch or any playing around with device manager or enabling/disabling the card does't help, only rebooting, sometimes several times is necessary.

rikardry, Sep 8, 2008
  5. xmlspy

oldskoolbiker

My replacement ACER One has this problem. I've returned one already because something happened to the fan and the computer wouldn't stay on more than a minute. I had it a week before the fan died, and didn't have any problems with WLAN. However this new one the WLAN stops working a few minutes after coming out of hibernate mode. Any solution besides getting a different WLAN card?

oldskoolbiker, Sep 9, 2008
  6. xmlspy

kentity

Hi there, my AA0 XP 120gb HD, Vista Ultimate also has this issue. Last night, powered up the machine from hibernate, started playing a video over wifi and suddenly ~30 minutes later, my video stops playing. The orange wifi light goes off and I have no wifi connection. Toggling the wifi switch does nothing. I go to device manager and the wifi card is not listed under network adapters. Restarted the machine a couple of times but no luck. Plugged the power back in and went away for a bit. Came back and turned the machine on and all a sudden the wifi is alive again. Strange. I'll run a couple of test tonight to see what is up ...

kentity, Sep 10, 2008
  7. xmlspy

kentity

ah, there is a complete thread devoted to this issue in the networking section. Should of check there first:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1477

kentity, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question