Wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redtulip, Aug 14, 2008.

1. redtulip

redtulip

I just got my Aspire One today, and the wireless icon doesn't like to show up. It was working fine before my brother tried to set up the wireless. Then the wireless icon just altogether disappeared. So we decided to restore the computer to factory settings. It was working again, so we set it up and it was working. Brother told me to do windows update so I did that and it required the laptop to reboot. Done. Then once the rebooting finished.. the wireless icon is gone again..

Is there something wrong? Or is there some hidden secret way to showing the icon..

HELp!

redtulip, Aug 14, 2008
  2. redtulip

dougman

I'm not 100% sure but is there not an option in the wireless network settings for "show icon in system tray"? (I'm guesssing you're using windows) Can't check since I'm on the one at the mo and not near a windows machine. :)

dougman, Aug 14, 2008
  3. redtulip

redtulip

The thing is.. if the icon is missing.. theres no internet connection. :(
    I can't connect to anything. Is this just a common issue? Or is my aspire one special. :(

It seems that when I turn off my laptop and turn it back on. The wireless works again.
    Kind of tedious thing for me to do each time the internet is messed up. :(

Is this an issue that would need me to exchange my laptop for another one?

redtulip, Aug 14, 2008
  4. redtulip

niem102

I get that every once in a while on my Dell laptop (or it least it sounds like the same thing). Sometimes the wireless actually does connect to a preferred wireless network (at least for me), but if it gets messed up I can't repair it or search for another network/router. Just go in the Start menu and on the right side under "Connect To" go to "Wireless Network Connection". In there I've always been able to get it to show back up by viewing the wireless networks and connecting to one of them, or by hitting the repair button under the "support" tab. Hope this works for you!

niem102, Aug 16, 2008
  5. redtulip

annafil

redtulip: are you using the Linux aspire one? it seems to be a common problem, I'm also in the process of figuring out a solution. If you're on linux, a temporary workaround is to run the command "sudo NetworkManager" in the terminal without the "". You can find how to start a terminal in other forum sections.

niem102's suggestion probably refers to windows XP - so be warned if you're using the Linux aspire.

annafil, Aug 17, 2008
  6. redtulip

niem102

Yes I am talking about windows, and it looks like he is too if he's doing a windows update.

niem102, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question