Wireless sensitivity and alternate modems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Arctic_Eddie, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I just received my AA1/1G/160G/XP last week and have compared it to a Toshiba P25-S507. Both laptops use the Atheros wireless chip set but the AA1 is the 5007 and the Tosh is the 5001. I'm not satisfied with the receiver sensitivity of the AA1. Both see my router(four feet away) but the Tosh is stronger. The Tosh sees at times a half dozen neighbors. The AA1 occasionally sees only the one next door. I'm going out of state in a few weeks to a place where the only router is about 100 feet away. I need something more sensitive.

I've looked around and found this one at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/108Mbps-TL-WN620G ... ZS844SB2AE

The TP-Link TL-WN620G claims 200m indoors and 830m outdoors. It comes with a four foot USB cable so the modem can be elevated or moved to a better spot. I'm anticipating putting a reflector about 1/4 wave behind to give it more directivity and gain. This might work well when at a motel with a back room when the router is in the lobby or across the courtyard.

Does anyone have knowledge of this modem or could you suggest a better one?

Arctic_Eddie, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question