Wireless seems to connect to secure but not unsecured?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jackdashack, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

I obtained my Aspire One on Friday the 20th. Happy as a pig in a poke I sat in front of the tv and downloaded all my favorite spyware and cleaner programs via my Verizon wireless, which is a secured service, that very night. All was well when I shut if off late. I did not pick this back up until today, Monday, when I carried my Aspire to an establishment that has unsecured wireless availabe. It would show connected, the little icon on task tray showed connected with a good signal but I could not ge iExplorer or my Outlook Express to work. So I thought that I might have done way too much subtracting trials and adding new programs and something is irritated. I went to Restore and went back to an ealier time. When it came back up I went to Restore again to see that I had loaded the right Restore date. The restore window was completely blank. I have no idea. I tried Safe Mode, still blank restore, I mean no words at all, like a whiteboard. Well I'm thinking I can't live with this, I have to be able to read my Restore points, and thinking I might have "gunked" something up with too many changes too fast Friday night. I did a Aspire e-restore right there at the establishment. Patience. When all was new I'm think this is fine (Friday I went right to the same establishment, new out of the box, and everything connected up to this same free wi-fi service without a hitch. I'm thinking it will today too everything being equal. Well it showed connected, the icon blinks and shows good signal but still the iExplore would not display a page and Outlook Express would not check mail without errors and all this after and e-Restore. It did it's thing Friday but not today. So I'm kinda livid. I speed home, got to my own secured wireless service and I succeed in getting both programs aforementioned working. Is there some setting that stops connections to unsecured services? Is there a button on the One that I moved or inadvertently moved. I'm not sure what that button does on the right front that blinks orange. I know it has something to do with the wireless, but the button is springloaded, it always comes back to left. Any hints of this boggler? By the way, this establishment I spoke of has 3 free unsecured services, a large mall, and I coulnd't get any to work. Thanks, Jack.

jackdashack, Mar 23, 2009
  2. jackdashack

jackdashack

Just wanted to let anyone know that might still read this that the problem was ought of my generous stupidity, it wasn't a problem at all but going too fast and not seeing what I was doing wrong. Jack (slightly embarrassed)

jackdashack, Mar 25, 2009
Ask a Question