wireless runs slow

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by kpzze, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kpzze

kpzze

Has anyone else noticed how slow the downloads run on the XP US version? I was downloading via wireless off my home network, only downloaded at max 50k, avg of 35-40sih. put my full size dell right next to it, downloaded same exact file and it was running at a 100K plus. any ideas?

KP

kpzze, Aug 28, 2008
  2. kpzze

cc56259

same issue, need help. i can plug my usb "netgear" and the internet smokes, if i use the wireless card im getting like 30k my old dialup would beat it.

NO DIFFERENCE IN WALL PLUG OR BATTERY
    normal mod for bttery life already done.

cc56259, Aug 28, 2008
  3. kpzze

kpzze

kpzze, Aug 28, 2008
  4. kpzze

crowman

I believe this is down to the power saving settings on the network card. I had the same issue and managed to sort it with some help. Try Control Panel/System/Device Manager ... select Network Adaptor and then the Atheros Wireless card ... go to Properties/Advanced and select the Power Saving option .... set this to 'Normal' ... card will disconnect briefly and then restart at full speed. Seems to be a problem for lots of people ... certainly fixed mine.

crowman, Aug 28, 2008
  5. kpzze

cracky

^^^^ thank you sir. I just got this netbook today and was scratching my head as to why the net was so slow. that solved the problem! :geek:

cracky, Aug 29, 2008
  6. kpzze

crowman

Happy to be of some help ... there's some great help on these forums and I was just passing on the advice someone had given me earlier. Two best bit's of advice I've had on the One so far both came from these forums ... the Wi-Fi slowness ... and the make the fan quiet magic !!

Crowman

crowman, Aug 29, 2008
  7. kpzze

ATLien

oh wow seriously awesome!! THanks for this tip..I went from 250ms ping and 100kbps to 30ms ping and 5000kpbs, ie: my actual 5mbps service!!!! Kudos!

ATLien, Aug 30, 2008
  8. kpzze

lems

I've just picked up the One today, and I'm loving everything, but for the slow download speed. My notebook is around 40-50kb, but the One is around 3-5kb. Pathetic. :D

When I go to my options, there's:

Power Save Mode - which I changed as per your advice. I've noticed no improvement.

But there's also

Power Save Policy - 4 different types with various descriptions in brackets. I've not changed those. Do I need to change those?

Also, I haven't downloaded the driver, so should I do that also?

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  9. kpzze

lems

I've now updated the driver just through letting windows find the best driver. It's now 1-2kb/per sec. :cry:

Anything else I can try?

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  10. kpzze

zakfontaine

You could install a DW 1390. You can get them on ebay for around 10$. I've had good performance with one. Also, it's os x compatible. The One is a pain to open up though. I had a fairly hard time with a stripped screw. My stock card was fine after changing the powersave settings though.

zakfontaine, Aug 30, 2008
  11. kpzze

lems

I'm afraid I'm not that adventurous. I'd just like at least 10 kb/ per sec even. Surely the wireless can handle that? Browsing seems fairly decent. Not as snappy as my notebook, but good enough. It just seems to be downloading programs, and I bought to replace my Linux EeePC so I could download the programs I wanted to, but I can't get them downloaded as they are just too slow.

I can't even download the driver link in this thread, which is why I went through the windows 'update driver' option.

I'm getting slightly frustrated now. :cry:

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  12. kpzze

zakfontaine

hmm... have you tried changing the channel that you AP is using? Sometimes you can get outside interference from cordless phones and other wireless devices. If you know know how to do that go to command prompt, type ipconfig /all, then get your router ip, type that ip into a browser window then you should be able to change your router's wireless settings. Good luck!

13. kpzze

lems

Thanks for that.

All other notebooks (4) and my EeePC have perfect wireless connection though. So I doubt it's from interference as I would expect it to affect those also. It's just really slow, I have a connection. Would I be best to download the driver from the link in this thread? Did you need to do that?

And it's a stong signal too. Full 5 bars all the time.

I feel it's a setting of some sort, just wish I could work out which one. I've tried rebooting.

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  14. kpzze

zakfontaine

I didn't download any drivers...I just changed the power save mode to normal...that's a weird issue. Have you tried making the only connection to the AP being the One? Maybe somehow it's just getting the "left overs" of the connection..I know bit torrent clients can really put a strain on a connection, and cause the effects you're experiencing...Outside of that, I'm not sure what the deal is. Sorry.

15. kpzze

lems

Yeah, tried that too. I'm the only one still awake trying to fix this up, so the One is the only PC connected. :D

Damn, it may have to go back to the store. I just set up a few things the way I like it too.

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  16. kpzze

zakfontaine

Yea, I'm guessing that could be the only solution. Have you tried using it anywhere else? At a wifi hotspot or anything? Really odd...

17. kpzze

brachiopod

I would definitely second the suggestion to try changing channels. Although the signal strength is high, the One has quite a sensitive antenna, and if someone has an N router on that same channel somewhere close it could be bugging you although it might not bother machines with less sensitive antennas.

brachiopod, Aug 30, 2008
  18. kpzze

zakfontaine

Yea, I still think that could be the issue..I've had problems like that related to interference. That may be why your notebooks are only getting 40-50k as well.

19. kpzze

lems

Guys, I just powered down our modem & router and I was just getting 80kb/per second instead of 2-5kb, settings & drivers updated as per this thread (well driver was windows provided instead of the link). We've never got that fast before, so now it seems it's the fastest PC in the house, instead of the slowest. Go figure. Haven't tried downloading any programs. The downloads were just a few freebie music files on a website for test purposes. Now it's fast I can't think of anything to download. I'll go try a podcast in itunes or something. :D

I don't know what to say on why that happened. I'm a girl who doesn't know too much about routers & such, but I'm happy. I'm not sure if I needed to do this after changing the settings or it was just a quirk, as we weren't throttled on our other notebooks while the One was slow. As long as it stays this way though, I'm happy. The One is a great little machine, and this was my one & only issue, so far anyway, so now I'm rapped. Thanks for all the help. :)

And the reason we only get 40-50kb average is because we're in OZ and we have shit ISPs.

lems, Aug 30, 2008
  20. kpzze

zakfontaine

That's good. I'd be willing to bet that your router is set to auto config the channel, and rebooting it may have had it change the channels. Oh well, at least it works. lol

zakfontaine, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question