wireless problem all lost

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frits, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Frits

ostkamp

Re: wireless problem all lost (not solved)

ostkamp, Feb 7, 2009
  2. Frits

HansB

I didn't perform a BIOS update (it's too risky IMHO) but I did a driver update first. I used this one: http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?athe ... G&system=1

However, updating the driver didn't change anything. I remembered that I had similar problem with my laptop, which has an Intel Wireless 3945ABG card, some years ago. The connection to my Fon La Fonera did drop a similar way. The solution was the same: disabling power saving. I searched the Internet for the problem with the Atheros wireless card and I found this topic (and some other sites) but no solution, so I decided to try the same workaround as with the Intel adapter.

I also tried stand-by and suspend to disk during the last few hours, and I still have no problems with the wireless connection. Nevertheless, I never had the problem you described above:

The only issue I had was that my connection dropped (download has stopped) suddenly and, after disabling and enabling the WLAN adapter or restarting Windows, or giong to stand-by and resuming, the connection was there for some minutes and then dropped again. I don't have this issue any more. Also after a suspending/resuming sequence a number of times. My problem is gone :)

I fear you may have another problem :?:

HansB, Feb 7, 2009
  3. Frits

wackyd

I have the same issue. I could connect to my home network because it remembered the profile, but I could not see any new networks in order to connect. This just started happening for me out of the blue as well.

I ended up removing all of my windows updates that had been installed. I got about halfway through uninstalling them, rebooted and right away I could see all of the available wireless networks. I wish I had a better answer as to which update it was giving me the problems but just uninstall 5-6 then reboot and see if your problem clears up. It definitely did for me.

wackyd, Feb 12, 2009
  4. Frits

skynomad767

I had the same problem when my computer was not plugged in. My "computer genius" friend told me that it sounded like a power management problem and told me how to fix it. I have since found some info on the net about this problem. It seems to be a factory default setting. This info and web site should help. If I can do this, anyone can. Just follow these simple instructions.

http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/08/wirel ... spire-one/

there’s a power saving option on the wireless adapter that is turned to maximum by default. To turn it off, right click my computer > properties > hardware tab > device manager… then find your wireless adapter in the list under Network Adapters, right click > properties > advanced tab. Select Power Save Mode from the list on the left and select Off from the drop down on the right. Press OK and close device manager.

skynomad767, Mar 30, 2009
  5. Frits

garyt

I had intermittent disappearing wireless problems.
    I changed the power management as suggested - I still had problems.
    I checked the driver - It was the latest.
    I eventually flashed the BIOS.
    I haven't had any problems since. The BIOS update made all the difference.

garyt, Apr 27, 2009
  6. Frits

pogo

Here is my experience with AOA150, Win XP, 160GB:
    - first 3 days everything worked
    - 2 days ago wireless stopped - same symptoms as many others
    - the latest BIOS version and latest Atheros drives were factory installed, but I reinstalled drivers
    - tried almost all of tricks described here except eRecovery

Finally, last night I restored system (System Restore) to the oldest one available and wireless suddenly started to work. Then I restored system to newer one when wireless still worked (I didn't wont to install all that applications again) and everything was fine. Today I reinstalled few more applications and wireless is still working. I made few restore points just in case. I am still trying to find out what I was doing differently first time, but I suspect I disabled some service(s).

pogo, May 7, 2009
  7. Frits

millimole

8.9" Device running Linpus.
    My symptoms are that after a long period of the machine being on, the wireless will stop working - typically causing a browser crash - and the wireless on/off button has no effect - the light on the bottom right of the keyboard remains off.
    After an immediate reboot the wireless remains off AND my expansion card (Left hand side) is not recognised.
    Leaving the Aspire shut down for a while usually cures the problems.
    I strongly suspect that internal overheating is the main cause in my case.

millimole, May 16, 2009
  8. Frits

go24gox

Hi Friends,

I too was having all these crazy problems with my wireless. I have TWO Acer Aspire 6920 laptops, exactly alike. One lost the wireless connection, one did not. Could not understand why. Finally...I disabled Google desktop on the problem laptop, and no more problem. I tried rolling back drivers, buying drivers....but this finally worked. I ran desktop for weeks with no problem, but have one now, so its off. Maybe it will help you too. I used a little sidebar called xirius and it tells me when I am connected now. Google had disabled that, so its back and so am I.
    Good luck, nice forum btw, just joined it!

Rascal

go24gox, Oct 11, 2009
  9. Frits

ACfreak

i experienced this issue during the first year of having the netbook. Acer accepted warranty but did not want to replace any hardware even though i insisted on it. they instead reinstalled the OS and reset all options to factory settings. I received it back and during the second month after this repair it started showing problems again until it simply ceased to show any wireless connections or even show the icon at all.. its like it ceased to recognize the adapter. i can connect wired though. came back to acer but by then i was out of warranty and acer simply said there was nothing else to do but replace the card. can anyone recommend a decent and compatible replacement card for the AO-532h???

ACfreak, Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question