wireless problem all lost

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frits, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Frits

Frits

@ramon.
    sorry for the late reaction.
    when you start the One for the first time, you can select your language.
    When you see the translation to Dutch, especially with pop-ups used by programs, i guess the used an internet translation program, grammatically it is very poor.
    (uw computer is al over de nieuwste updates..........) :mrgreen:

Frits, Aug 17, 2008
  2. Frits

littlegreywings

I've got the same problem. Used the One for about 2 hours before the wi-fi icon vanished and the Network Centre stopped working. Can't connect via ethernet either! I was really counting on this device to make my day easier! I have to wait till tomorrow to go return it. I think I'll take a refund and go get an MSI Wind or something.

What a pain! I'll stay clear of Acer from now on I think.

littlegreywings, Aug 17, 2008
  3. Frits

Payndz

I've had this problem as well - the wireless icon in the system tray has disappeared, and nothing happens when I try to open the Network Center. The system is still reading the wifi card - it's just not allowing me to connect.

If a fix doesn't come up soon, I'm going to have to return my One, because a netbook that can't access the net is as much use as the proverbial chocolate kettle!

EDIT: I just tried connecting the One to my router via the ethernet port, with no joy there either - and since I can't get the Network Manager to work, I can't even futz with the settings. So basically it's lost ALL internet connectivity, wired or wireless. I'm going to try to reinstall the system once I get access to a PC (the restore DVD doesn't seem to work with Macs), but if that doesn't work, then back it goes...

Payndz, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Frits

am31fr

Just to add my experience here:

I have the exact same problem and it happened to me already two times !

Symptoms:
    - No WIFI tray icon
    - No access to Network Manager
    - Reboot and restart does not help !

Each time, I had to reinstall the OS with the recovery DVD and it was working again !

Very very frustrated ! I hope Acer will find a solution very very quickly !

am31fr, Aug 20, 2008
  5. Frits

bassic83

I just had the same thing happen to me- here's what I did.

I switched back over to "Simple Mode", the default "desktop". I went into the Settings>Network Mangler, er, Center. I discovered that it had forgotten all about my home network, so I hit Add, and entered the necessary info. I checked the box "Connect when Finshed", and it came right up. So it appears that the Network Center is indeed the culprit- it forgets everything and loses it's cotton-pickin' mind! That's just what I need- a netbook with Alzheimer's! If any of you Linux Gurus out there know how to make the settings permanent, we'd all appreciate it.

BTW, someone please try this and tell me if it works with yours.

Edit- no, I didn't reinstall Linpus yet again. Yes, I did the desktop switch mod, but that's about it.

bassic83, Aug 23, 2008
  6. Frits

YooY

7. Frits

tomkerswill

I know this sounds strange, but I had the same symptoms a day after I got the Aspire one. The network manager disappeared, and trying to load it (nm-applet) from the command line gave an error.

It turned out that the problem was that I had auto-hide switched on, to hide the panel. This somehow stops the applet working (I found out about this thanks to another forum post).

All worked fine from then on. However now I have a different problem --- the wireless network card seems to have stopped working altogether. The LED light isn't on at all. Doing a "lsusb" shows the webcam, but not the wireless card. It's as if the wireless card isn't there at all. Flicking the hardware switch on the front has no apparent effect.

The only thing that I can think that caused this is that immediately before the connection, I had a low battery. I shut down as normal, plugged in power, and booted up a few hours later. However the power supply was switched off at the wall, so after a few seconds the computer died. When I plugged the power into the wall and switched back on, no more wireless...

Possibly related problem --- the track pad sensitivity is sometimes ridiculously high. Sometimes rebooting fixes this, sometimes not. I don't know if it's all a problem with hardware detection at boot up.

Tom

tomkerswill, Dec 26, 2008
  8. Frits

emrald192

Ok look i had the same problem but after looking on another thread the problem was the conection manager making a file or changing somehting, so what you have to is just go to file on the url type or copy this /home/user/.gconf/system/networking now it would take you to a page with conection and now just delete all the file in there and just reboot your computer.

Now the conection will show on the bottom right of the screen and all you would do now is just click and conect to your network.

Hope it helps :D This is all i know

emrald192, Jan 3, 2009
  9. Frits

hansbehrends

I believe that this is a problem that occurs regardless of platform in use,
    things were working fine until one day when I flashed to bios from 0.3301 to 0.3305
    and things were never the same again. All the symptoms described I have experienced.
    I really like this computer, despite the wireless problems - my final solution:
    open the One and swap the Atheros wireless for either Intel Wireless G or Dell 1390
    (both work fine, the Intel will be obvious choice for those who run Linux)

I tried all sorts of things and never got it to work right. So out the atheros goes.
    I am just holding off until I got enough pennies saved for a Bluetooth module, then I will
    a) swap wireless cards b) do the heatsink mod to quiet this thing c) install bluetooth 2.0+EDR module.
    IT is just too much fun. Next is a 7800mAh battery!!

Acer Aspire One 150L 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HDD
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

hansbehrends, Jan 4, 2009
  10. Frits

WhiteShepherd

We lost wireless AND wired network access on our Acer One. I do know a little of Linux. From the Linux side the problem appears to be a “bug” in the Network Manager. The best fix seems (at least to me) to be updating the network manager to a newer version (via linux).

I have written out instructions here on how to do this. Though keep in mind that not all problems are caused by the same thing and updating software can sometimes break things. This worked will for me so here is the link. Use at your own risk and let me know if this solves your problem or suggestions: http://www.furtopia.org/tools/acerone

WhiteShepherd, Jan 6, 2009
  11. Frits

wirelessdropouts

new aspire 1 owner from australia here. I recently acquired one for my gf and one for myself, to be used purely around the house over the wireless connection. The issue only occurs with my unit so far. After a c ertain amount of time, usually while the system is on but not being used, the wireless internet drops out. I try disconnecting and reconnecting, it hangs on the 'waiting for network' screen then won't connect. Then the network will disappear, and i've found reboots will not fix, but switching the system off completely then rebooting will fix the problem. Very disappointing problem, for a computer that is purely used as a wireless machine.

wirelessdropouts, Jan 18, 2009
  12. Frits

Jaden

I have just tried this to solve the intermittent wireless dropout. I don't know whether this has solved it, although no dropouts so far, but now it does not remember the WPA key between reboots - this is whether I add a connection via 'edit connections' or simply respond to the prompt for a WPA key. It also now doesn't work at all if I close the lid and re-open.

Be warned, as the OP says, this might break things rather than fix them, it seems to have done for me. Unless someone has the answer....?

Its a shame as the connection manager itself seems to be more complete and slicker than the original. Not remembering WPA keys is a big no no however. I am going to play a bit more but might have to think about a different distro (dont want to go to XP). Is there one that seems to be more stable Wireless-wise than the others?

J.

Jaden, Jan 21, 2009
  13. Frits

alexknobbe

It is not a Linux problem.
    Because i use windows vista at the moment and it has the same problem.

When i reboot it will work again, but when i go download a lot, he drops again.
    So it very annoying

Greets

Alex

alexknobbe, Jan 28, 2009
  14. Frits

Jaden

Just to say that I fixed my issue with Linpus not remembering my WPA key and so my wireless is working without an issue now. I used the suggestions in this thread to fix it:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395

So, I would advise following the steps to upgrade the NetworkManager (maybe just yum install to get the latest version) and then, if you get WPA key problems, look at the above thread.

The only remaining issue is that the network does not come up when I resume after closing the lid, I have a key combination that runs a script to restart it though which, although not that elegant, does the job.

HTH.

J.

Jaden, Jan 28, 2009
  15. Frits

arduous

I've been running around trying to solve this problem for a while. I finally worked it out.
    When the local area connection was enabled the wireless would not find any available networks although it said networks were available.
    Disabling the realtek adaptor then made all wireless connections visible.
    Hope this resolution works for everyone else.

arduous, Jan 29, 2009
  16. Frits

erland

Re: wireless problem all lost (SOLUTION)

I solved my wireless problem (network manager broken, no wireless icon showing up in the notification area, no connections) on the Linpus Linux version of the AAO by just deleting the all the files in the folder
    Code:
    /home/user/.gconf/system/networking/connections
    (copy and paste that line into the file manager to get there) and restarting the computer (all the necessary configuration files will be restored to default).

You can find out if this is the solution for you by trying to open Network Manager from the terminal (see http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Acer/Aspi ... notes.html for instructions on accessing a terminal and much more handy stuff) - type the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    nm-applet 
    and if you get an error and it says something about gconf and the "connections" folder above then that's it and you can use this solution.

erland, Jan 29, 2009
  17. Frits

silentkv

Any solutions for Windows? This is weird. It went out when my brother was using Windows 7. I dual booted into XP and it wasn't working there either. In both, the wireless doesn't even show up on the bottom right bar. I've tried reinstalling drivers in both Windows and nothing. It even gives me error messages saying it can't find the card or eject the card. Like other's say the light doesn't even blink. I went solid when it crashed on my brother but after a restart. Nothing. It doesn't even show in the device manager.

silentkv, Jan 30, 2009
  18. Frits

Firo

I had the same problem with WPA key (XP Home). The second day after I had changed from WEP I was not able to connect to a network. Than I had to go back to WEP which works without any difficulties.

Firo, Jan 30, 2009
  19. Frits

HansB

Re: wireless problem all lost (solved)

Hi to all from Germany!

I had the problem and just solved it. It is not an acer related problem. It is an Atheros AT5007EG WLAN driver problem. I have Windows XP Home SP3. To solve the wireless connection drop issue just follow these steps:

1. Right click My computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device manager.
    2. Then find your "Atheros AT5007EG Wireless Network Adapter" in the list under Network Adapters, right click > Properties > Advanced tab. Select "Power Save Mode" from the list on the left and then select Off from the drop down on the right.
    3. Press OK and close device manager.

I'm able to transfer many Megabytes over the air now -- without any wireless connection drop. I hope this will help those of you having the same problem.

Cheers,
    Hans

HansB, Feb 7, 2009
  20. Frits

ostkamp

Re: wireless problem all lost (not solved)

I tried that as well as update of BIOS and Atheros driver. For me, this has absolutely no effect. After going standby and then resuming the wireless connection is still lost and the connection manager shows no networks until the next reboot is carried out.

Regards

Guido

ostkamp, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question