wireless problem all lost

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frits, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Frits

Frits

Hello, here's a new user from the Netherlands.
    Love the small thing!!!
    Only, after i switched the One on for the first time i saw trough the internetconnect icon on the bottom right several wireless networks in my neighbourhood. After i applied the Live updates i lost the list off networks. I still can connect through cabel. Also, when i use the switch on the front to activate the wireless mode, the icon appears in my screen, but i can't see the networks. Also the led isn't burning anymore.
    Anyone a solution???

Frits, Jul 28, 2008
  2. Frits

petch

Re: No list of networks wireless

It won't help but you are not alone. It happenned to me and I am still looking for a solution. I plan to restore my aspire one but it's not an esy task too...(need for an external driver)

petch, Jul 28, 2008
  3. Frits

Frits

Oke, so i am not the only one. I don't see the wireless icon( the antenna) apearring when i switch one the wireless switch..
    Hope someone has the answer..... :roll:

Frits, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Frits

nngomes

Im on this boat too... maybe the acer updates did this!

nngomes, Jul 30, 2008
  5. Frits

Frits

I did the recovery thing, but it didn't work.
    I still can use cable, but don't see any wireless networks..... :(

Frits, Jul 30, 2008
  6. Frits

nngomes

this is becomig a REAL issue... more and more people are having this problem.

Any linux experts here that may help?

nngomes, Jul 30, 2008
  7. Frits

drvolk

drvolk, Jul 31, 2008
  8. Frits

Frits

The system detects the atheros card.
    But when i use the switch, only the icon appears in the screen, but nothing happens.
    Also the led indicator doesn't burn any more..

So all in all, it won't work.
    Cable still works fine though.

I really think it is a Linpus problem, because when i bought the One, it worked fine, but after aplying the updates with Live update, it is gone.
    I did the recovery thing, but it didn't worked.
    I am thinking of using another OS, like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux or something like that.
    Problem is that my kids are also using the One, so the simple principle of Linpus appeals to them.

Still hoping someone knows how to fix it.

Frits, Jul 31, 2008
  9. Frits

tekkie

tekkie, Aug 1, 2008
  10. Frits

Frits

i used the recovery disk, but i won't work.....i did it three times.
    still can use cable, but the wireless is gone, everything.
    No tray icon, no led burning. when i use the switch the on screen icon apears, that's all, nothing happens.

So, come on Linpus or Acer, fix it.

Frits, Aug 3, 2008
  11. Frits

Frits

Strange things happen!!
    I added some software updates and some extra software, and suddenly the led started to burn.....I could see all the networks in my neighbourhoud.....
    When i restarted the One, oh yeah, everything gone.
    i did again do the recovery thing, and now no wireless network, and no simc tray icon...

Linpus come on, i wan't to use the One on my holiday , within 10 days..... :geek: :ugeek:

Frits, Aug 3, 2008
  12. Frits

van_stonesky

The same problem just happened to me half an hour ago, no wireless detection, no cable connection neither. Everything back to normal after >3 times reboot. However, this really concerns me a lot as wireless browsing is one of the major use of the one for me. If this keeps happening for no reason, then this laptop will pretty much become one useless piece of crap.

I'm also really surprised by how many people are encountering the same problem while there is no real solution at all. Has anybody here contacted Acer yet? What did they say? They better come up with some fix. :x

van_stonesky, Aug 5, 2008
  13. Frits

Frits

Okay. i am thinking of installing Ndiswrapper, to use to get wireless working.

Anyone done this before on the One??

I am a linux noob, so if there is anyone who done this i would like to hear about it.

So far, i recoverd 7 times Linpus, but it doesn't help.

I am still hoping that Acer/Linpus makes a patch for the wireless problem.

Frits, Aug 6, 2008
  14. Frits

Frits

Okay, so far i solved the problem, but not the way i think it should be.
    I installed windows XP, used the drivers as in the drivers section, and didn´t get wireless......
    I noticed that in stead of the 5006 card windows showed the 5007.
    When i used the troubleshoot option in the device manager, i saw both of them.
    That was the turning point for me.
    I did the Linpus recovery thing, cleaned it a little up, and brought it back to the vendor(Mediamarkt).
    I got a brand new one, and so far wireless still works. I got the One today, so far so good.
    I am afraid to apply the updates, i' ll wait and apply them after my holiday.
    I also have the impression that this One is working more quietly, but i keep a sharp eye.............
    I still think that Acer or Linpus should be capable to fix the wireless problem, or did i get a pre production model at first?
    And you should see the translation of the Dutch language, it is beyond all levels...........
    Still i do like the One, :D

Frits, Aug 9, 2008
  15. Frits

TheAcerGuy

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to let you know this problem's been noted. It might be an unofficial blog but TheAcerGuy is the closest Acer's got to communicating about issues like these.

And that's where my man in the Acer tech support team has made the first "announcement" on this particular issue that might help.

Again, not official, but it's all we got right now.

TheAcerGuy, Aug 9, 2008
  16. Frits

Frits

Hello Acer Guy.
    Thanks for the replay.
    When i exchanged the One i ask the Vendor to specifically write done the problem with the wireless.
    The guy behind the technical counter checked the One, and wrote the whole story on the ticket he made.
    When i got the new One, the technician told me he did know the problem, and believed it was a Linpus problem.
    But the One i have now is still working okay.
    So, if Acer is interested, contact Mediamarkt in Zoetermeer in the Netherlands........I exchanged it saturday the 9 of august 2008.

Frits, Aug 10, 2008
  17. Frits

martymcr

I'm also seeing this problem - wireless randomly drops, or fails to connect after a boot or resume - sometimes another suspend/resume fixes it, sometimes it takes several reboots.

I've logged it with Acer support and guess that the more people who log it, the more likely we are to see a fix!

martymcr, Aug 10, 2008
  18. Frits

ramon

Hi Frits,

I have had the same problems. Every now and then the wifi connection simply dissapeared.
    Sometimes a live-update helps to recover. I also found another thread which discussed the 'switch' on the front of the ONE.
    Just 5 minutes ago i tried to connect to the net, but no wifi. I toggled the switch in front and within seconds the connection was back.

Where did you change the language settings, i'd like to see the dutch one.

tnx

ramon, Aug 13, 2008
  19. Frits

pmosher

I've got this problem with my new Aspire one (received it on Monday this week). I just called Acer tech support (1-800-816-2237, got transferred to the Aspire support team) and spoke to some guy in Texas. He said this was the first he'd heard of this problem, then he checked with his buddies and they hadn't heard of it either. So I don't know where the people on this forum have reported the problem, because it apparently isn't getting to Acer!

Their only suggestion, other than reloading the OS, was for me to take the machine in to the Acer repair depot. I may give that a try, but I'm not confident about this approach. My feeling is that it's more like a software problem and not a HW fault with my particular machine, since there are quite a few reports from other people having the exact same problem. Do they all have faulty machines too?

Pauline

pmosher, Aug 13, 2008
  20. Frits

Frits

Okay people, i am typing this in Greece, yes , on holiday, with the aid of a wireless network , supplied by the hotel.
    Now it is working flawlessly.
    No problems at all.
    i suspect my previous one was a pre production model.
    I did all the updates, installed other software(skype etc.) and it is still working okay.

So, still love the One.

Frits, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question