wireless on hardy working without compiling!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by spinnekopje, Oct 26, 2008.

1. spinnekopje

spinnekopje

Hey,

After some other installs I installed again with Hardy doing the following:
    -Install 8.04.1 with external cd-drive
    -Add all my extra repositories: also backports, medibuntu, opera, wine, ...
    -Updated and upgraded everything
    -Installing my extra packages like msttcorefonts, wine,... AND linux-backports-modules-hardy

Now I can connect to the WPA protected network here without compiling and in the restricted drivers view there is another entry called "Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards."

If someone can confirm this, I would recommend to update the guide to act this way (a lot easier for a newbie). I'm going to check whether I can make the wifi leds working, but I already wanted to let you guys know this, since I haven't read about this solution before.

regards from a happy user

spinnekopje, Oct 26, 2008
  2. spinnekopje

scottro

Thanks for this info. I might throw Hardy on something now (either the AA1 or another Aspire I have with the same card.)
    I have a moderately well known page about getting this card working, so it's useful information for me. Even if I don't get a chance in the near future to personally test it, I can comment on it, and others can try it before doing MadWifi. I do have a GOS install on the AA1 for the moment--I wonder how closely its repos are tied to Hardy's? I'll have to check next time I boot into it.
    Thanks again for the information.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  3. spinnekopje

scottro

Ok, I can confirm it.

Using GOS, I installed (without doing any updating) linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic and the card now works with the ath5k driver. Thanks, going to add it to my pages now.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  4. spinnekopje

dr3as

it does not work on my wpa2 encrytped network at my office :S

changed to aes, instead of tkip on wpa and it worked...

dr3as, Oct 26, 2008
  5. spinnekopje

scottro

For me it works on WPA2 personal. Somewhere in the forums, there was a statement from Acer that the card itself doesn't support WPA2 enterprise. I have no idea if that's true. It would be interesting if you tried it with the MadWifi snapshot to see if that works with your office.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question