Wireless not working (Disconnects regularly, etc) Linpus Lit

Discussion in 'Networking' started by incka, Sep 9, 2008.

1. incka

incka

Hi.

I purchased a Acer Aspire One, the 8gb Linpus Linux Lite version that retails for £199 in Currys, for my partner.

We were using it at her house using an unknown free wireless network and it kept disconnecting (sometimes after being used for a while, then afterwards immediately on connection).

We thought this was to do with the network not the computer.

Now I've gone back home (hundreds of miles away) and my partner has discovered that the wifi issue isn't with the network, but with the laptop - she's gone to several wifi areas including the one at her university she uses regularly with her other laptop and the problem happens there too.

However when she went to the university the network only immediately disconnected, not allowing any access.

A search for 'acer aspire one wireless problems' brings up a hell of a lot of results, although the only solutions seem to be for the windows xp model.

Does anyone know how we can fix this? She's got quite upset over it as she doesn't feel she's capable of taking it back to the store to be fixed/replaced, and I'm not due to go back down to her town for weeks.

incka, Sep 9, 2008
  2. incka

melhiore

Power saving mode in WiFi card options. Switch if off...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  3. incka

incka

How do I do this in Linpus?

Another site had an explanation but I think it was for windows as the buttons it said to click did not exist in Linpus.

incka, Sep 9, 2008
  4. incka

incka

Can you give me instructions for how to do this please.

incka, Sep 10, 2008
  5. incka

melhiore

I'm sorry. I realized you talking about Linux model not XP - it's typical problem for windows powered machines. But try to view options in Settings regarding wireless card - there must be something with power saving. Another option is to perform Live Update - there is new version of Network Manager - it may help...

melhiore, Sep 10, 2008
  6. incka

asidiver

I have exactly the same problem with the same model and OS. Have you had any success solving the problem?
    Have read so many posts but none seem to have had a sound solution.
    Think mine could be winging its way back to supplier. I'm suprised reviewers have not picked up on this problem yet!

asidiver, Nov 23, 2008
  7. incka

lesliepbc

I am having the same problem. It either takes a long time to download a webpage, or it times out before loading. Unacceptable and I am hoping there is a solution. Please alert me if you get an answer. Thank you.

lesliepbc, Nov 28, 2008
  8. incka

asidiver

Hi,
    I have an AAO and as you may have seen from previous posts have had the wifi problems disconnecting not reconnecting etc.
    My solution - returned to supplier. options were a refund or a replacement. I opted for a replacement and it works brilliantly.

One thing I noticed was the software seemed to be an updated version.
    The settings tab on the 'task bar' is labelled differently and is called preferences on the machine that works.
    The manual switch to disconnect and reconnect via the access point actually works on this model.
    sorry I can't be of more help... but maybe if more people returned faulty items, Acer would be more inclined to fix the problem before shipping items.

asidiver, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question