Wireless mini pci-e - power problem? XP TCPIP EventID 4201s

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by darkfire79, Apr 27, 2009.

1. darkfire79

darkfire79

Hi, recently I replaced the AR5007 card that came with my AOA-150, with a AR5008X based card because of the power management problem with the original. Is there some kind of power problem with the pci-e bus itself?

The new card works, but I keep getting TCPIP Event ID 4201's in my System Log on XP... Usually they're about 1 minute apart and sometimes it drops the connection completely. I tried disabling power management on the card, but it didnt fix the problem. I tried a USB Wifi adaptor since I thought it might be a router problem and it worked fine.

In Ubuntu it wont keep a usuable connection for more than a minute or so (depending on load)... (Again, the USB adapter worked fine)

Has anyone else noticed or had this problem?

I'm running XP SP3. Atheros driver version 7.6.1.184 (I've tried other versions, no diff), with a WL-500W router.

One thing I noticed in Ubuntu is that high HD or CPU utilization seemed to make the connection problem even worse to the point where it wouldnt connect at all; which is why I'm wondering if perhaps the mini pci-e card isnt getting enough power. I ended up getting rid of Ubuntu since I couldnt get it to work right with the card.

Thoughts? Solutions? ( Aside from swapping it out with say an Intel card, which if it's a power issue, shouldnt make a difference. )

Thanks!

Mike
    PS.. Signal levels are all fine, at least in XP. In Ubuntu it was all over the map.

darkfire79, Apr 27, 2009
  2. darkfire79

darkfire79

Never mind... Apparently I fixed it by increasing the default beacon interval on my AP from 200 to 1000. The problem went away. Odd.

darkfire79, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question