Wireless disapears after a couple of days of use

Discussion in 'Linux' started by johnfante, Dec 14, 2008.

1. johnfante

johnfante

I have a very strange problem, that I can't figure out.

I am running 8.10 and have used khaerus excellent guide to get wireless working nicely (installing backports, blacklisting ath_pci and load ath5k manually). But I have a very strange problem.

Suddenly, after a couple of the days of use with no problems, wireless stops working! The problem dosn't come after an update it just refuses to connect automaticly to the wireles LAN and when I click on the network logo in the top panel to find the wireless networks in range there is nothing there!

At first left click gave "enable networking", "enable wireless" (both enabled), "Connection information", "Edit connection" and "About". Right click (where the networks in range normally comes up) gives "wired network" greyed out "Auto eth0" (using it now), "wireless networks" greyed out, "VPN Connections", "connect to hidden wireless network" and "Create new wireless network".

After a couple of days of fiddling and also with trying out a new kernel the wireless option with left click has now dissaperd.

When I try manually to connect to hidden wireless network it comes back and says no connection right away and no matter what I do (I also tried editing the auto wireless connection but nothing happens when I try to connect) I can't get it to find the wireless network and connect.

I have checked that the drivers are activated (support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless lan card) and rebooted several times but so far with no luck.

The most strange problem is that I have had this problem two times before when I tried first eeeBuntu and the 8.10 when it was released. Both time I went back to Linpus because of this problem. And in Linpus everything works fine.

Today In installed the 2.6.28-rc7-ultimate kernel but it is the same problem. Wireless just dos'nt come up.

I am getting desperate here so any advice would be highly appreciated.

johnfante, Dec 14, 2008
  2. johnfante

Andysan

Hi there,

Power down, take the battery out, wait ten mins and then put it back in. This usually fixes the problem.

You may get fed up of doing this and want to install the madwifi drivers which don't seem to suffer from this problem (in my experience), many tutorials on this forum regarding this.

Post back your results.

Cheers!

Andysan, Dec 14, 2008
  3. johnfante

donec

You might also remove power from your router and wait a couple minutes and the reapply power to your router.

donec, Dec 15, 2008
  4. johnfante

johnfante

Thanks for the reply.

Removing the battery and power from the computer and power from my router did not do the trick.

Maybe I have messed something up trying to get wireless to work again. When I rightclick on the network logo the option for wireless networking is gone. How do I get this back?

I tried a little bit with madwifi.

Installed the latest wifi-tools with symantec. When I write iwconfig I get:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

I have tried to switch the front switch back and forth to be sure that I didn't disable by mistake..

johnfante, Dec 15, 2008
  5. johnfante

johnfante

Well I managed to mess everything up definitely so I did a reinstall.

Now the shutdown-battery remove trick works nicely :)

Thank you for all the help!

johnfante, Dec 15, 2008
  6. johnfante

Andysan

No problem, glad you got it sorted. :D

Andysan, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question