Wireless connection but internet etc won't work

Discussion in 'Linux' started by elanor_of_valinor, May 4, 2009.

1. elanor_of_valinor

elanor_of_valinor

Hi. I'm just a beginner with linux, and am more familiar with xubuntu.

The netbook recognised the wireless router, but internet can't load any page. The router has no firewall, and tried to see if mozilla had access using my desktop, and it worked fine, but nothing on the netbook.

I'm lost with this. I have a little experience in terminal window, but normally get talked through it by a friend. He has the same netbook, but has since put ubuntu on it, and never used linpus to use the internet.

What do I do?

elanor_of_valinor, May 4, 2009
  2. elanor_of_valinor

Noodle1975

In firefox, have you made sure that Work Offline is unchecked? (FILE -> WORK OFFLINE CHECKBOX).

Also, can you ping the router?

alt + f2 opens a terminal.

type: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your router's ip address) you should see a reply in milisecs which tells you it's connecting ok. If you don't get a reply then it's not connected.

Let us know how you get on with that.

Noodle1975, May 5, 2009
  3. elanor_of_valinor

elanor_of_valinor

Hi. Apparently it says it is online and we do not have a fixed IP address, so I'm not quite sure how to ping it.
    Faith.

elanor_of_valinor, May 7, 2009
  4. elanor_of_valinor

pling

You say that the Book "recognized" the wireless network - but did it connect? There is a big difference. It sounds to me like you might have encryption set on your wireless - you should have - in which case your Netbook would need the password to connect. Your router may have come with a default password set if you didn't enter one.

Look at the networks available (click on the wireless icon on the toolbar.) Is there a padlock symbol next to your network? What happens when you click the network name?

If your router is setup to us encryption and you don't know what password is set then you'll probably have to reset the router. This is usually easy-peasy, but the exact details vary with model and maker, so you'd need to search for the user guide online.

pling, May 7, 2009
  5. elanor_of_valinor

pling

The ping thing is probably over-technical advice. But although your IP account doesn't have a fixed IP your router still will. Resetting your router will involved finding it's IP from the manual and entering it in your browser to bring up its Settings dialog as a web page.

But I don't see how pinging will help you much now. You know your router is working and you know your Book can see wireless connections, which are the main things ping could determine for you.

pling, May 7, 2009
  6. elanor_of_valinor

elanor_of_valinor

Hi and thanks for all the help you have given me. I had a friend come round the other day who knows more about linux than me and has the same netbook, and he sorted the problem. The problem was that the router we had bought didn't work with cable, only ADSL modems, eve3n though we'd been told it would, so today my partner installed the netgear router, and after an hour, here I am from my netbook

elanor_of_valinor, May 16, 2009
Ask a Question