Wireless connecting but not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kestryll, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Kestryll

Kestryll

Hello,
    I have an Aspire One netbook, one of the 8 inch early ones, that I just did a restore on and the wireless connection is having an odd issue.
    The wireless says it and the drivers are installed correctly and working and the icon in the task bar shows that it is connected to my home wireless (Netgear router) with an 'Excellent' signal yet I can not access the internet nor access the router.

I can connect the Aspire One to the router and the internet if I plug in an ethernet cable and my other wireless devices connect to the router fine.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless device and drivers as well as rebooting the router with no success.
    The router settings are the same as they were before I restored the Aspire One and it connected fine prior to the restore.

Frankly I'm at a loss as to how to fix this as everything is shows as working but it still will not connect.
    Has anyone had this kind of issue before and more importantly does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks

Kestryll, Dec 5, 2010
  2. Kestryll

Forone

Have a double-check of your wireless security settings - hopefully you're using WPA or WPA2 normally with a passphrase. If it's not just that, would suggest calling your ISP for a tech support step-by-step walk-through on the new connection - mine has been very helpful in the past.

Forone, Dec 5, 2010
  3. Kestryll

Swarvey Moderator

If you're running Windows XP, try this:
    Click Start -> Run -> Clear the contents of the box and type in "inetwiz" without the " marks, then press enter or click OK,, run thru the wizard telling it to connect via LAN and auto-detect settings, after the wizard, try your browser again.

Swarvey, Dec 5, 2010
  4. Kestryll

vidiot1

I'm having the same problem, i have an aspire one netbook and the wifi wouldn't connect to the wifi so i restored it back to factory specs. Now, it connects great but when i try to go online it gives me the "CAN NOT DISPLAY PAGE" screen. ive tried both suggestions from above ,modzilla,deleating driver,but it still wont work. it works fine when i plug the ethernet cable in
    Thanks,Brian

vidiot1, Dec 16, 2010
  5. Kestryll

dhoward

I have the exact same problem. We have an A0A150 netbook. The past year we used it on a WEP encrypted network. I got a new router for Christmas ans set it up for WPA. It refuses to connect. Shows strong signal but will not display internet pages. I suspect the WLAN card, AR5007EG cannot support WPA encryption. Has anyone got this model working with WPA. Every other wireless device in my house is functiong fine with the new router and WPA.

dhoward, Dec 29, 2010
  6. Kestryll

Tazzy

I'm Having the exact Problem. Same Acer Model. Anyone find a fix?

Tazzy, Jan 4, 2011
  7. Kestryll

roydd

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem . Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be a virus?

roydd, Jan 4, 2011
  8. Kestryll

Tazzy

no idea. I ran every virus program i have. I just have no clue... its driving me nuts!

Tazzy, Jan 4, 2011
  9. Kestryll

Swarvey Moderator

Some suggestions for Windows users:

*Read the WiFi troubleshooting section in our wiki (http://acerone.wikispaces.com/WiFi+Troubleshooting)
    *Make sure you have a connection to your router then click Start -> Run -> clear the box and type in "CMD" without the " marks and press enter or OK. The command prompt will load up (a black box with white text). Type in IPCONFIG and press enter, the command will spit out some information, you may have to scroll up, but it will mention which IP(v4) address your Wireless connection is using. Check this addresss against other computers on your wirless network, the first 3 sets of digits (separated by a . ) should be the same on all your machines, the 4th digit should be different. If none of them match up then your connection isn't being given the appropriate address and needs troubleshooting.

Swarvey, Jan 4, 2011
  10. Kestryll

Tazzy

I found a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now on WPA/WPA2 connection! no more unsecured or WEP for me. :D
    Ok I have a Acer Aspire One Model AOA150 with Atheros AR5007EG but my version was 7.6.0.224. I saw on another forum the solution is to use another models wireless driver! I think I used Acer's Aspire One AOD250 if I'm not mistaken. scrolled down and saw Atheros version 7.7.321. Uninstalled my old driver installed this one and it worked! I hopes this helps guys!! :cool:

Oh I also downloaded the 7.6.0.224 version before the 7.7.321 version just in case it didn't work I could have went back to my old version.

EDIT: Sorry here is the forum link i got it from! http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1290 ... ect-to-int

Tazzy, Jan 5, 2011
  11. Kestryll

jmar

I did the same thing mentioned above, and IT WORKED. I've been puzzling over this for months!

jmar, Feb 18, 2012
  12. Kestryll

nestone

For those who took the plunge and updated the OS on their trusty AOA-150 to Windows 7, The wireless LAN was the fly in the ointment. While Windows 7 drivers exist for the Andros card, they are buggy and result in dropped connections, freezes and the "blue screen of death." Finally tiring of these interruptions after trying several different drivers. I ended up disabling the Andros card in Device Manager and bought a "button" USB wireless card. The built in Andros card is only g rated and the USB replacement is n rated. The USB card only sticks out a 1/4 inch from the case and reception is better than the Andros wireless LAN. Others have actually replaced the built in Andros card with a Broadcom card. However, that requires taking the netbook apart and connecting antenna leads. I bought the Edimax USB button card for just $12 so it's the cheapest option as well. Internet connection is now rock solid and much faster to boot. Details here:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFgQ8wIwAw

nestone, Feb 19, 2012
Ask a Question