Wireless Connect, Excellent Signal, Will not load webpages?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jackdashack, Apr 7, 2013.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

Well I have a small Acer One Netbook XP, just one of 3 computers. The others are handier to use thankfully. I was looking in the Comcast gateway and saw that there were 2 entries for that one Acer. And they seemed to have some small conflicting info. So I thought I'll just delete them from the Gateway and let the wireless router find them and re-assign them again. I didn't touch a thing on the router.

No such luck. It's not finding the Acer and giving it an IP. I cannot get the Acer to communicate through the Ethernet cable or the wireless adapter. I have been to device manager and it says it's working properly. The Ethernet shows as if it's connected but will not load a page. The wireless will just not connect with a red X.

I have Googled and tried about everything I can. You name it I've probably tried it. Does anyone know a foolproof way to undo this?

You can add a device from the gateway but you have to know the IP address and I don't see where this Acer has been assigned one. I cant find that. I can find the mac address using "ipconfig/all" but it doesn't show that 10.0.0.X that I'm looking for . I don't even think the router will assign it one for some reason. I tried resetting the router also.

UPDATE: Now apparently it's saying connected after doing a restore. And says the signal is great and I have an IP address. But it is not showing up on the gateway as a connected device and it will not load a webpage?

So to conclude: I have an this netbook that says I'm connected with an Excellent signal to my SSID wirelessly but will not load webpages. I guess I've more or less said that. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jack ":-D

jackdashack, Apr 7, 2013
  2. jackdashack

buttahz

I'm thinking this is more a router (gateway) issue than a computer issue. Is your router set to assign static IP addresses or DHCP? Also, when you connect to your network through your WiFi, your router of course assigns an IP address. But other times when you connect to your network by plugging the network cable (LAN) into the computer, the router will assign your computer a different IP address. This would be the reasoning for the 2 different IP addresses.

I'm not familiar with Comcast routers at all. I have only used D-Link. However, I'm thinking there is some kind of network filter set on the router which is locking out your netbook. On my D-Link router there is a network filter setting and you have to go into the router settings from a computer and manually associate the MAC address of the device with the IP address assigned to that device. Only then will you obtain full network access. The only other reason I can think of is if your router reserves IP addresses. If you deleted them you'll have to just add them back on to the reservation list.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but it's what came to mind when reading through your post. Good luck!

buttahz, Apr 8, 2013
  3. jackdashack

CTS

Same problem

I'm having the same issue and the guys at Ampedwireless say it's because the XP system doesn't work with the newer WPA that my new router uses, just the older WEP. Either I need to dumb down my network back to WEP or upgrade the computer. I can get a patch for XP to use WPA, but I don't know if the built-in Acer wireless adapter will work, or if there is an upgraded driver for that. Guess I'll give it a try

CTS, May 2, 2013
  4. jackdashack

CTS

No connectivity on New Router

Well, I verified I have Service Pack 3 for XP and that it supports the new security systems, so that wasn't the problem. I also tried switching to WEP on the new router and that didin't do it either. I guess the old Aspire has been bypassed by progress. Maybe time for an Ipad?

CTS, May 3, 2013
  5. jackdashack

Nestone50

Bin it if you like. However, you simply have a software problem somewhere. Suggest you take it somewhere where there is a free hotspot and see if you can get online. If so, as quoted from "Cool Hand Luke," you have a failure to communicate (with your wireless router at home). I'd suggest you go into your wireless settings and delete your home network. Then, go into device manager and delete your wireless network adapter. Then, reboot your netbook. The computer will detect "new hardware" (your wireless network adapter) and look for the proper driver which should remain inside your OS. Then let the netbook detect your wireless networks in range and enter your password. I suspect all will be good at that point.

Nestone50, May 3, 2013
  6. jackdashack

Nestone50

One more thing. In reading your original post once more, I see you have a Comcast wireless router. While I know their customer service for the most part sucks, you can call their tech help desk and tell then you can't get online. They know all the tricks with their equipment. I suspect they can walk you through a cure.

Nestone50, May 3, 2013
  7. jackdashack

jackdashack

Nestone50 you are a helpful agent. I was checking posts I follow, mine I guess, and I wanted to update. I went back to Verizon. So much less drama. It's slower but it's regular and it's always there steady as the passing of time. Comcast you never knew if you were going to have phone or just what. Had to call in and have them do "provisioning" which can't be done from your home several times each month. I am happy back with my 3mbps which almost seems a fast as Comcast's 15mpbs. "{:-D jack

jackdashack, Jul 13, 2013
Ask a Question