Wireless card not working and can't be found

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pamic, Jun 14, 2012.

1. pamic

pamic

I'm a newbie and at a loss.
    My XP netbook lost the wireless card all of a sudden.
    The switch doesn't work and I don't see it under the device manager for network adaptors.
    I've read some other threads that are close to my problem and tried the driver update download for wireless LAN from Acer but no change.
    Perhaps my card is toast, but I wanted to find any other solutions to avoid opening up the notebook.
    I would appreciate any suggestions

pamic, Jun 14, 2012
  2. pamic

Swarvey Moderator

Reinstalling or replacing a driver isn't going to do much if the card isn't being detected by the os. I would have to assume the card has died. However, depending on you computers model, you will more than likely find an access panel specifically for getting to the Wi-Fi card. Before replacing the card, try removing it, booting the laptop, shut it down again, then reinstall the card, bout the laptop again and see if it makes any difference.

Swarvey, Jun 15, 2012
  3. pamic

Nestone50

What model do you have? As your OS is Windows XP, I assume it's an older one. Perhaps an AOA-150?
    In Device Manager under Network Adapters, did you expand that by clicking on it? If the computer "sees" the wireless card it would be there.
    If the wireless card is indeed dead, the easiest thing to do is to buy a cheap mini USB dongle like the one here: http://www.meritline.com/micro-usb-...hq_e=el&hq_m=2464610&hq_l=107&hq_v=272b5629ee
    For $7, that will get you up and running. The dongle only sticks out about 1/4 inch so you can leave it in all the time. This way you don't have to open up the case and risk further damage.

Nestone50, Jun 15, 2012
  4. pamic

pamic

My model is AO250

Swarvey, thanks for the suggestion. I see you may have the same model.
    Would you be able to direct me to that access panel then?
    Would I be able to move up to an "n" card? Should I take this opportunity if my card is indeed dead.
    I don't know how much of an upgrade that would give me. Would a actual card be better than Nestone's suggested external adapter?
    Thanks.

Nestone, I did expand the network adapter and nothing is there for wireless, just the ethernet. Your external adapter sounds like a plan if mine is indeed shot.

I read somewhere a suggestion that the internal adapter may have been turned off by using the hotkeys in some combination. Does that make sense to you guys?

pamic, Jun 15, 2012
  5. pamic

Swarvey Moderator

On the underside of the D250 are three panels, the large one is for access to the hard drive. There are two smaller panels, one screw each. I gave my D250 to my son for his birthday, so I haven't seen it in a while lol, so best I can tell touch at the moment is to try both of the smaller panels. One hides the memory, the other is the mini pci-e port for the Wi-Fi module.

When replacing or reseating the Wi-Fi module, make sure you reconnect the aerial cables and don't forget the screw to secure it.

+1 to the USB dongle, it'll give you a cheaper, easier upgrade option if your internal card is damaged.

As for the keyboard combo, I don't think there is one for the D250, but there is a sliding switch on the outer edge of the case that turns the Wi-Fi card on and off. You'll find the switch below the indicator light at the bottom of the keyboard. Past experience dictates that a freshly installed OS won't even detect the Wi-Fi module, or install it's drivers until this switch has been toggled once.

Swarvey, Jun 15, 2012
  6. pamic

pamic

Thanks for all your help you guys!!

pamic, Jun 17, 2012
Ask a Question