Wireless adapter reported as working, but cannot connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Apologies if this exact problem is covered elsewhere, but I've searched around and can't find it.

I've just reinstalled Windows XP Pro on my Acer Aspire One 110 - a clean install from scratch, because I picked up a virus I couldn't remove. The installation went well (the full program from a CD in a USB external drive) and I went on to install the drivers from the Acer site.

I can't get the wireless function to work. I have a popup bubble which tells me that One or more wireless networks is available and when I click on it, I see this list:

PlusNet Wireless
    BTHomeHub 2FH2Z
    Belzin 54g

The only one of those I expected was the first - I have a PlusNet Thomson wireless router cable-connected to my desktop PC. But I suppose the others might be devices in neighbouring houses? Anyway, that's not the problem.

I entered the Thomson's WEP passkey and clicked Connect. I opened Internet Explorer and got the message This computer does not have an internet connection. Then after a few seconds, the popup bubble returned.

I looked at the Network Connections screen and it shows Wireless connection unavailable. There are no connection-strength bars in the system tray. However, in Display Manager there are no "?" conflicts or errors, and the Wireless Network Adapter is reported as working properly.

WiFi worked perfectly well on the old install. I'd be grateful for any ideas on what might have gone wrong and how I can fix it.

Many thanks.

Guest, Sep 2, 2010
  2. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

Swarvey, Sep 3, 2010
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks. I have the latest drivers from the UK site, but I'll look into the Australian ones.

Guest, Sep 4, 2010
Ask a Question