Windows XP, Ad Hoc network keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by patleeman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. patleeman

patleeman

Hey all

I've been trying to create an adhoc wireless network on my acer aspire one running xp. I am trying to connect to my iphone using netshare and proxifier. I create the ad hoc network, the iphone connects, the ip addresses are established, but the network always dies after a minute. Every time.

I was successful in testing proxifier and netshare, it established a connection, then the adhoc network promptly died.

I tried changing all the settings possible but no joy. I've updated to the latest driver, my chipset is the Artheros AR5007EG, I'm running windows xp.

Google searches turned up that people were having trouble with the same chipset, unfortunately they were all running either linux or xp, so i believe i'm not the only person having problems. What i am concerned about is if this is a wide spread problem, or if it is just me and i should exchange my aspire one.

If anybody knows of a fix, that would be amazing.

Thanks

patleeman, Sep 13, 2008
  2. patleeman

razcalk

i've had the same problem. seems to be the wlan card or drivers. i gave up.

another solution is tethering via USB. much better. google iPhone Tunnel Suite 2.7

connect iphone via USB. launch iPhone Tunnel Suite 2.7. Press iConnect. Launch Proxifier. Done.

razcalk, Sep 14, 2008
  3. patleeman

patleeman

Wow, thanks!

Thats exactly what i need, and its so easy.

I appreciate it!

patleeman, Sep 14, 2008
  4. patleeman

acx

Whoa! This is what I've been searching for all night! Thanks!

Ah.. I still want to find out the root cause on these random ad hoc connection drops. If this ever gets fixed, it'll be useful for surfing with the iphone in my pocket :D

acx, Oct 18, 2008
  5. patleeman

liljj3489

Hey guys, so is this the only way we are going to be able to connect the iphone to the AA1? I have been using PDAnet for my other laptops and for some reasons the ad hoc network is not working correctly on the AA1. I was wondering if anyone has found another way to connect their iphone to the AA1 with PDAnet.

liljj3489, Nov 4, 2008
  6. patleeman

Aracaj

Hey All,

I've been running into the same issue with XP and dropping ad-hoc networks on the AA1. I'm using a bought PDANet for connectivity. Updating to the 7.6.1.160 driver for the Atheros AR5007EG wireless card has the connection lasting upwards of 15 minutes but it still does disconnect eventually. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm going to try the iPhone usb tunnel app, but like others, I'd love to have a wireless solution.

Have a great one!

Aracaj, Nov 18, 2008
  7. patleeman

andu

ok, trying with the atheros options i found the reason of all this. I think is the power magnament, you should turn it off.

in the adaptor's configuration is an option: Power save mode. You change that from Maximum to Off. There will not be any more drop downs. At cost of battery life thou.

I guess is the way the atheros save energy, drop the rate to consume less energy.

This works in my place at least.

Regards

andu, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question