Windows Explorer Crashes All the Time - Help Please !

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Lloydon1, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Lloydon1

Lloydon1

Hi Everyone, just registered here and can't seem to find the info i'm looking for. I brought an aspire one this weekend, but having problems with it crashing all the time when i try to look at files which are photos and movies i've taken from my digital camera. Basically everytime i open the folder up and try to move the files to another folder windows comes up with a window and basically windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. The error msg is below. Really stuck so if someone can help me out that would really help. I tried searching but no good. Hope someone out there can help me.

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: avisplitter.ax
    ModVer: 1.0.0.9 Offset: 000220b4

Thanks in Advance

Lloydon1

Lloydon1, Nov 10, 2008
  2. Lloydon1

nmesisca

One of the codecs you installed on your machine is breaking something.
    Try un-registering the file using:

regsvr32 -u AviSplitter.ax

Then reboot and try again,

N

nmesisca, Nov 10, 2008
  3. Lloydon1

Lloydon1

Hi thx for the reply, could you tell me exactly how to uninstall that please ? Im a Noob !

Lloydon1, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Lloydon1

nmesisca

I just did ...

but I guess you need the full thing..

Open command prompt (Start-Run-cmd-enter)

type
    and press Enter.

if you get an error message search for the file avisplitter.ax, then from command prompt go into that folder (using cd [foldername]) and type the regsrv32 line again.

hope it helps,
    N

nmesisca, Nov 10, 2008
  5. Lloydon1

Lloydon1

Thanks for the advice, just tried uninstalling the codec but it came up with the error msg. How do i get into the folder ? I don't understand using cd folder name or what i'm suppose to do now ! I did unistall all the codec pack and the pc was again fine, but now i can't open any videos !

If you can run me through what i need to do that wud be a great help, thanks...

Lloydon1, Nov 11, 2008
  6. Lloydon1

nmesisca

if you have unregistered succesfully the file and the PC runs fine apart for the multimedia, the only thing you need to do is install a codec pack. there are a few different ones, I use Vista Codec Pack (runs on XP too), google it and see if matches your needs in term of file types that you may need to manage.

if i misunderstood and you're still getting an error message while using Regsrv32 please tell me the exact error message and I will guide you from there.

nmesisca, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question