Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bjarvis2785, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bjarvis2785

bjarvis2785

Hi all,

Been a reader of this forum for a few days, and have been following the guide for dual booting Linpus and XP.
    I have successfully re-partitioned the hard drive with a ntfs partition for windows.
    However, when i try installing windows, after it's copied it's initial setup files and rebooted i get the following error (i believe this is where people normally get the hal.dll error).

The Microsoft knowledge base suggests it could be a problem with the boot.ini
    I have made sure that my partitions are labeled correctly (i.e. windows is on sda2) and also run through the fix for boot.ini to make sure everything is pointing to partition 2 and not 3.

If i try to reboot into Linpus i get the black screen with blinking cursor - although i have fixed this now by restoring grub.conf.

If it helps, i am trying to install XP from a USB key that was prep'd with USB_prep8 and bootsect.

I sat there for around 4 hours last night trying everything i could find on the internet last night and am now slightly bald from all the hair pulling! :(

bjarvis2785, Jan 8, 2009
  2. bjarvis2785

bjarvis2785

it doesn't matter now...

it seems that for some reason the system thought i had two versions of XP running.
    I eventually messed it all up even more and got a BOOTMGR MISSING error and so am restoring right back to factory.

will try again

bjarvis2785, Jan 8, 2009
  3. bjarvis2785

JoJo

I've got the same problem at the moment. Somebody knows how to solve it?

JoJo, Jan 11, 2009
  4. bjarvis2785

Tamis

Tamis, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question