Windows bootup problem.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by shokat, Jan 19, 2009.

1. shokat

shokat

Can anyone help please. :cry:
    I have installed xp pro onto one of these aa1 netbooks using the method listed on http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/in...lash-disk.html

but now when I bootup the netbook I get the following message:

Windows could not start because file missing or corrupt.
    window root\system32\hal.dll
    please re-install a copy of the above file.

But if I click on the f12 key and then select boot from the flash drive from the boot menu, it boots up ok in to windows.

but I have to have the flash drive plugged in at boot up.

I did delete all the partitions and then make the HD in to just one big partition.
    I have booted again from the USB flash drive and selected the 2nd option. Then rebooted the machine with the USB stick removed and I get the following massage:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.
    please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Another strange point is, when I do boot into windows. I went in to my computer and noticed that the internal HD is labelled as D: and the flash drive is labelled as C:
    When I made my flash drive using PeToUSB it was assigned the drive letter M:
    So I don't know what went wrong.
    ps.. my XP source is SP2.

Can any one tell me how to fix this problem.
    Thanks.

shokat, Jan 19, 2009
  2. shokat

hobblyhoy

Im by no means an expert on this stuff but that seems to be your problem there. I myself am battling this hal.dll problem but I know that if you dont have the internal HD set to boot from C: it creates issues.

Try loading the text installer of windows XP, deleting all partitions, creating a new one, then rebooting. Dont go through with the install of XP just once the new partition is made reboot the comp. Go back into the text setup and hopefully you should find the newly created windows partitions being the C: drive.

Good luck. This hal.dll error is a vicious one.

hobblyhoy, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question