Windows bigger than the screen: solution?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by terence, Mar 30, 2009.

1. terence

terence

Has anyone got a viable solution for Windows dialog boxes which exceed the size of the AAO's 1024x600 screen and thus have buttons which are inaccessible? In one or two instances programs are unusable because you can't actually get to the Apply or OK buttons, which are below the bottom of the screen even when you drag the window as high as it goes and remove the Taskbar.
    Eventually, given the sudden popularity of these and other netbooks, designers will probably tailor the dialog boxes in their screens accordingly, but for the moment such legacy programs are a pain. Any ideas?

terence, Mar 30, 2009
  2. terence

robert456

robert456, Mar 31, 2009
  3. terence

terence

Oh excellent! Scrolling with the mouse works a treat, moving the offending dialog box right up off the top of the screen so you can get to the hidden buttons at the bottom. But resizing the dialog box is less useful, as all that it seems to do (and I have only just had a quick trial run) is to cut off the edges of the dialog box progressively, which wouldn't appear to help. But it's early days yet and I'll keep testing. Thanks again for that!

terence, Apr 1, 2009
  4. terence

Arctic_Eddie

Here is another solution. It's a German program called a Downscaling Switcher.

http://forum.msi-wind.de/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=905

Download the ZIP file from the link near the bottom of the first post. You can put a link to the EXE on the quick launch bar and toggle between a normal screen and one set to 1024x768 but compressed vertically to 600.

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 6, 2009
  5. terence

terence

That really is an excellent solution, and combining this app and the other little freebie, MoveMe, which can scroll a window or dialog box right off the screen, should pretty much cover any eventuality a netbook user is likely to encounter. Nice one!

terence, Apr 7, 2009
  6. terence

moycano

Hola a todos / Hello, everyone (my first post).

The solution does not need to involve third party apps: just deactivate the "Hide modes this monitor can't display" option (or something like that, I haven't and English OS) in Advanced Monitor Properties. Now you can select the 1024x768 resolution for this situations.

SALUDOS!

moycano, Apr 8, 2009
  7. terence

Forone

The helpful little A1CTL fan control program includes, among other things, a toggle for screen sizes including 1024x768 - I've been using it for about 6 months no problems:

http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

Some discussions of it available on this site.

Forone, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question