Windows and Linux (SSD) - Can't access emails or some pages.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by skuttle, Jul 13, 2009.

1. skuttle

skuttle

Help? Complete non-technically minded newbie here!

I'm finding I can't access quite a few pages online, noticably my Yahoo emails (can see titles, but won't let me view the actual message). Many of the pages I'm not able to view are, I think, secure ones, but I'm not even able to get to, for example, a particular non-secure page on a computer store site. In my emails, if I click on the title to view, it seems to go so far towards loading and shows 'transferring data from geo.yahoo.com' but then just sticks (the little 'circle icon' keeps spinning but nothing else happens)

I have the 8gb SSD with Linpus, and am conected to a wireless home network, the other latops and PC using Windows (XP/Vista). I have no trouble accessing the same pages on any of these, using IE8, only on my Aspire with Firefox (3.5, but previously used the version that it came packaged with, with the same problems. My husband upgraded to the newer version of Firefox for me, to try to solve this problem, but he's not able to help any further.)

If anyone has any ideas that they could explain in pre-school talk please, I'd be really grateful!

skuttle, Jul 13, 2009
  2. skuttle

skuttle

Well, we eventually decided to get rid of Linux (I really wasn't taking to linpus, and the kids prefer Windows as that's what they use at school and on the PC), and we've now installed XP.

All that has worked fine, but when I've gone online and tried to view the pages I was having problems with before, I'm still having exactly the same problem- -I still can't access my Yahoo emails beyond getting into the Inbox, and I still can't view the same pages. So it wasn't caused by Firefox or Linux.

Please, can anyone help. Almost tearing my hair out here.

skuttle, Jul 17, 2009
Ask a Question