Windows 7 on slow intel SSD?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by J26, May 9, 2009.

1. J26

J26

I want to install Windows 7 RC on to the AAO but I have the slow intel SSD.

So I want to know if anyone has tried to install Windows 7 on to the slow intel SSD? What's the boot speed?
    I also know that AVG will significantly slow down boot times (even on xp) so which other free anti-virus could i use?

Thanks in advance

J26, May 9, 2009
  2. J26

Mathijs

I tried it today. I don't know which SSD I have, but it runs terrible.
    Haven't done any optimalizations. Most things work out of the box, but I can't recommend it. Maybe it's better when you install FlashPoint.
    But I can't even get to the download, maybe it's because I only have 512 MB ram. Also there's only ~650 MB ram left on the SSD if you haven't nLited it.

Mathijs, May 9, 2009
  3. J26

J26

Well, how terrible exactly was it? I am good with boot times up to 3min.
    Also were there frequent pauses while doing daily stuff (internet, music, youtube)? That really annoys me.

Also, I know that NTFS might be a problem (even with xp) as it does small writes of "last access date" (which the ssd is real bad at doing) Anybody knows how to disable that write?

btw you can check what ssd you have by checking "device manager".
    If you see SSDPAMM0008G1EA, you've got the slow intel ssd. If it's something else, you have the better ssd.

J26, May 10, 2009
  4. J26

Tamrac

I have installed Win7 on my SSD AAO and it runs fine. Just disable hibernation and swap file. You'll have about 2gb free on the SSD once you remove some more un needed components. Must have at least 1gb RAM for it to run smoothly. Boot time is about 1m15sec . :)

Tamrac, May 10, 2009
  5. J26

J26

WOW cool, that boot time is even better then xp on my AAO(probably because of AVG).
    I guess they did do a good job optimizing Win7 for SSD.

J26, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question