Windows 7 Disk Space?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by pierze, Mar 7, 2009.

1. pierze

pierze

I've got Windows 7 installed on my AOA110-1831 (8gb SSD), and the raw install takes up like 7.5 gigs. Is anyone else having that problem?

I read a lot about the WinSxS directory and how it reports like 3 gigs but is really only taking up 400 megs or so, but I'm still getting low disk warnings all the time.

I'd rather not go through nLite or a process like that - I want to see if there's some Microsoft supported way to slim down the install, for example, I'm happy to disable hibernate since that sometimes saves you from having to keep a 1gig file around to hold a copy of the RAM when you hibernate.

I forgot to add this http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/11/19/disk-space.aspx to some good disk space information.

pierze, Mar 7, 2009
  2. pierze

Frojd

You can get rid of the hibernation file through the "disk cleanup" wizard. It will only free up an amount of space equal to the amount of RAM installed so if you've got only 512 it won't make too big of a difference...

Frojd, Mar 7, 2009
Ask a Question