Windows 7 Detect SSD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mdsharpe, May 29, 2009.

1. mdsharpe

mdsharpe

Hi,

I have been reading about Windows 7 and its ability to "detect" an SSD and make some tweaks accordingly. I believe this includes disabling defrag and turning off superfetch, amongst other things.

This doesn't appear to be happening for my Aspire One A110. I have manually disabled defragmentation but I'd love to have the full Windows 7 SSD experience. Does anyone know how to prompt or force Windows 7 to detect the SSD?

As an additional note I tried disabling the Superfetch service but this also disabled my ability to use Readyboost with my SD card. I suspect that if Windows is disabling it automatically, it would do so in a more refined way that allows Readyboost to continue to function!

Thanks,

Matt

mdsharpe, May 29, 2009
  2. mdsharpe

Tamrac

Actually the defrag thing is the only thing that does not work yet on Win7. Quite forgivable since it's not yet final. The rest is working.... how do I know? Notice how Win7 works so well in NTFS on the slow SSD of the AAO, hehehe. Try that on XP and it CRAWLS.... Windows 7 runs so well on NTFS on the SSD AAO, that you know the optimizations are indeed there. ;)

Tamrac, May 29, 2009
  3. mdsharpe

mdsharpe

Cool, thanks for the reply mate. I haven't tried XP on this machine so I guess I don't know how bad it was by comparison? ;)

mdsharpe, May 29, 2009
  4. mdsharpe

donec

Since the BIOS for the A110 does not recognize the SD cards then I doubt Win 7 will either.

donec, May 30, 2009
  5. mdsharpe

Tamrac

Oh btw, readyboost does function. What build are you using? Use build 7077 and up. RC1(7100) being the latest official release. There are some builds wherein readyboost did not work. Avoid those.

Tamrac, Jun 2, 2009
  6. mdsharpe

Tamrac

Did you mean recognize as boot devices? Then yes, the A110 cannot boot from the SD slot. But Windows 7 detects both SD slots and are functional within the OS.

Tamrac, Jun 2, 2009
  7. mdsharpe

donec

Yes I meant Windows 7 wont detect the SD as a boot device I am sure it will see the SD card as storage device.

donec, Jun 2, 2009
  8. mdsharpe

mdsharpe

I am not having a problem with readyboost (and it does help!).
    The reason I mentioned it is because if you disable the superfetch service it also disables readyboost.

mdsharpe, Jun 4, 2009
  9. mdsharpe

Tamrac

Oh ok. That explains is. Yup, that's true, you need to enable superfetch in order for readyboost to work.

Tamrac, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question